Snails in a low-nutrient ZEO system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snails in a low-nutrient ZEO system.

Is it me or are snails overrated (and overused?) in a high-flow, low nutrient, BB, ZEO SPS system?

I see people recommending hundreds of snails for new systems...but what's the right number (and type) for a tank (say for 100g) set up this way?

What's the minimum number you could get away with?

Are more snails causing more problems?
    "There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things we know we don't know. But, there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we don't know we don't know." - Donald Rumsfeld

I have never used snails and things look great in my tank. I was never a fan of snails since they knock things over. The only thing that comes close to a snail in my tank are the conch's and they do wonders!

Comment

in my 75, all i have is 5 astreas(or so) and a aquacultured queen conch.
      Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

I have 4 out of 5 mexican turbos i got 2 years ago.I don't have the heart to get rid of them,they're huge now but don't do much.Every once in awhile i saw them munch on some hair alge but very rarely.One recently cloged up my overflow U tube and almost caused a flood.It was half in and half out.I had to use a wodden dowel to knock it out of the tube.I have a queen conch that scurrys along in the little sand i do have and it seems to do a great job cleaning the sand and keeping the bottom clean

Comment

Originally posted by CosmoKramer
          I have 4 out of 5 mexican turbos i got 2 years ago.I don't have the heart to get rid of them,they're huge now but don't do much.Every once in awhile i saw them munch on some hair alge but very rarely.One recently cloged up my overflow U tube and almost caused a flood.It was half in and half out.I had to use a wodden dowel to knock it out of the tube.I have a queen conch that scurrys along in the little sand i do have and it seems to do a great job cleaning the sand and keeping the bottom clean
          For the same reason, for my dunso I had a strainer installed with 10mm holes. The piping is 30mm so nothing will choke up the pipes.

Comment

Working...
          X