Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Spur question

Sorry folks for yet another one

Anyhow, the first dose I did 5 weeks ago, 1 1/2 mls, produced an extreme reaction, the tank was glowing & I was concerned about coral health, although everything did survive. So the next dose 3 weeks after the first one, (or 2 weeks ago) was only 3/4 ml, there was no effect.
    So last night I did another dose, 1 1/4 ml exactly. This morning there was a lightening of the corals, but not the intense glowy type look that happened after the first dose. So I'm guessing 1 1/4 mls must be the exact minimum dose to get a result, albeit a mild result.

So what I want to know, can this minimum dose be increased a little to get the more glowy type effect I got at the first dose? Or is this dangerous?
    While I was worried about coral health, it certainly did look pretty cool!

Hi Alastair, there can be varying, changing effective doses of Spur2, depending upon one's nutrients during each dosing period, the interim nutrient levels between dosing, the time-interval between doses, & the number of times Spur2 has been already dosed to the corals. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Oh OK.
      The first dose the Po4 was dangerously low, now I've got the Hanna I'm keeping it around 0.02 - 0.04.
      Just wondered if the Spur dose could safely be increased a bit, say to 1 1/2 mls, to make sure I'll always get an effect?

Comment

so any danger in over dose of spur2..???
        So far I find that, if you over dose spur2 which result in total bleach of the sps... what you can do is dose higher AAHC to prevent the sps from dieing and the sps with the help of PIF and other dosing can infact help to color up faster too..
        ---------------------------
        180g 3 side Low Iron Glass, Lighting: ATI Power Module 10 x 80W KZ Coral Light (awiting for to mix with fiji purple), Return Pump: Red Dragon 12m3, Tunze WaveMaker:1x 6200, 3 x 6100 and 1 x 6060 + Multicontroller 7095, Bubble King 300 Internal, Deltec - PF 601S, Arctica Chiller 1/2HP, I~Zeo Reactor IZ-618

BK 300 in actionhttp://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...IDEO_00003.flv

Comment

Alastair, remember the Spur2 dose effects continue for 48 hrs. after dosing, therefore, your Spur2 dose has not reached it's zenith. With each new dosing period, there will be slightly less zoox. on our corals to affect, than the previous time. IOW, at some point with repetitive Spur2 dosing, the quantities will need to be reduced or as Keigo mentioned, consequences to our corals can occur. Bob

Comment

Thanks. I'll hold it where it is then.
            There was better PE on the corals than normal this morning, is there any warning signs after a period of several months that Spur2 dosing should be reduced?

Comment

well you have to see the sps color... if the sps color is already bright enough then reduce your dose...

but if it's still browny.. then no issue with higher dose....

else once over dose you will have total bleach of your sps...
              180g 3 side Low Iron Glass, Lighting: ATI Power Module 10 x 80W KZ Coral Light (awiting for to mix with fiji purple), Return Pump: Red Dragon 12m3, Tunze WaveMaker:1x 6200, 3 x 6100 and 1 x 6060 + Multicontroller 7095, Bubble King 300 Internal, Deltec - PF 601S, Arctica Chiller 1/2HP, I~Zeo Reactor IZ-618

Comment

Alastair, determining the correct Spur2 dose is not easy. If your dose keep the "lightening" color of your corals past 1wk before they begin to darken, then you're approaching the maximum quantity. If they begin to darken sooner than 1 wk.or there is little lightening effect, then one can slightly increase the dose amount on Spur2 the next time. Remember, also, the higher the nutrient level, the less effect a given amount of Spur2 will have, that is, it's effect is more short-lived, & conversely, the more nutrient-poor our waters, the effect lasts longer & the less Spur2 is needed & the interval should be lengthened. Alastair, another point I should mention, is that Spur2 affects some SPS more than others. It does not affect S.Pacific as much as Indonesian corals. Reduce your next dose, if the coral's tips stay light & do not darken up. Color-fading at the tips means overdosing. Bob

Comment

Hey thanks Bob and Keigo, that all looks like good info. I THINK i have it sussed now.
                  What you said in your last post Bob is a pretty handy way to figure it all out, should put that in the guide.

Comment

Good, Alastair; what is "sussed"? Bob

Comment

Hmmm... Must be peculiar to New Zealand.

It means understood. As in, I've got it now!

Comment

Originally posted by wasp
                        Hmmm... Must be peculiar to New Zealand.

It means understood. As in, I've got it now!
                        lolz that is something new

Comment

Hi to all! i've a question... i'm in zeovit system from 3 month. (no3 0,00-po4 0,03)
                          Corals sps are fine and the colour are begining very bright, whit a part of blue- green. Only the corals far from the direct HQI are a few brown.
                          Can i give Zeospur or it is too soon? Is It danger for tridacna sp.?
                          Zeovit :blue:--HQI 150w/2x18 Actinic--Skimmer H&S F2000--

Comment

Hi Premmas, with your nutrients lower, yes, you can use Spur2 but as Keigo mentioned Spur2 if dosed in excess can result in TN As he mentioned the use of the other supplements can "buffer" the effect by nourishing the coral & at the same time enhance coral color. At your point, I'd recommend using PIF, AAHC, Fe for a time before Spur2. PIF, especially helps brown to blue SPS coloration. Follow the ZEOvit guide's dosing recommendations. If you do use Spur2 follow the ZEOvit guide with 50-60% of the recommended quantity, as it's effects will differ from tank to tank[see my above #8 post]. Bob

Comment

It does not affect S.Pacific as much as Indonesian corals.
                              why? is that, isn't a coral a coral? regardless where it comes from(lighting that is)

regarding "sussed" white boy wasp is turning in to a real native (soon he wants some money from the government for treaty claims and votes maori party)

Comment

Working...
                              X