Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting new 270 gallon reef

Hello all,

I am embarking on a new 270 gallon reef tank. I ahve had the tank for 4 months now and have been accumulating the equipment LOL! Things have been slow going but it has given me plenty of time to plan this out.

Since teh tank is in an unfinished basement I have to , well finish it around the tank for everything to look good. I am not sure if I am going to use Zeovit on the tank (but I know no one here will flame me :shoot2: ) as I have been considering all things. I have considered bare bottom and its logical for me sonce teh internal flow between all the mechanisms for flow will be 37500 if I open everything up at once.

For flow I have an Iwaki 100RLT through four penductors to return the water. A high turnover rate isnt important via the return for me but this utilizes the Iwakis pressure rating fully so why not I say. I am more concerned to get the skimmer fed directly from an exit drain so I get "raw" water before it hits the sump. The other flow will be provided via a wave box, 3 6080's and 2 6100 stream pumps.

I have collaborated with a friend though and am thinking of adding either 2 part epoxy or clear silicone and slathering the bottom of the tank then covering with a thin layer of carribsea speacila grade, curing for several days then shop vacuming the excess. this way the sand bed (albeit a false one) will stay on the bottom and the flow will be possible without the bare bottom look.

I have an H&S A-200 External SKimmer with twin eheim 1260's
    A schuran jetstream 1 reactor
    2-250 20 K and 14K in case LOL in Luminac III's
    VHO supplementation
    and a host of other goodies

Here are some pics of the project (we started this last weekend) in the early stages and I will be posting a progession. I am going to keep watching this forum and reading about ZEO. I used it for a short time and I do know it can work well. As I said I have not ruled it out all together and may very well use it in the tank which will be and Acropora reef with encrusting Montipora's.

I also wanted to give a special thanks to GAry at Captiveoceans and Scott from Evolution Aquatics for helping me decide on my reef ceramics. Both were very helpful in helping me choose the product as well as the pieces to get. This reef will be RC from the back wall and one side as well as all the other pieces of rock.

this is what the finished project will look like (excuse the amateur drawing)

this is the tank

stand / wall pic as this will be incorporated into the wall:

earlier pic from first day of buiding it. It is super reinforced now and will be covered with marine grade epoxy paint.

anacroporamademepoora

After careful thought on what I really have into this tank in terms of finishing the basement, all the Reef Ceramic Rock, the H&S skimmer, the lights, the pump, the Tunzes and wave box.........

The Cost of Zeo is not that great I guess. This was a major barrier for me until I did a bit of math this evening. I guess I can afford it after all LOL

So I will be setting up with the ZEO system. I think I will order for Evolution Aquatics as well since they are close to me LOL and Scott seems like a good person :blue:

I need to get a hold of James at Envisionacylics to order a sump this coming week but do not know how to go about doing that. If someone here knows please assist.

I think the insump reactor is what I am going to do also. I think I will need about 3.5-4L of Zeoliths because the tank is 270 gross gallon and I plan on 100 gross gallons for the sump. I will be doing some home work on the dosing again as it has been a while since I looked at teh guidlines.

My estimated fill test is October/November because I am in still framing. After that the wiring goes fast and so does insulation. Drywall and and tile in the viewing room and carpet for the rest of the basement will take a minute longer. Guess I will take a walk on the Zeo Side and see what happens.
    anacroporamademepoora

Comment

Originally posted by skippyreef

So I will be setting up with the ZEO system. I think I will order for Evolution Aquatics as well since they are close to me LOL and Scott seems like a good person :blue:

Whoo hoooo... you are going to love it bro, on a big tank its a must if you dont like algae!

And thanks for saying I am a nice guy .. Just let me know when you are ready and we can get things rocking-and-rolling .

I love your tank, and the LIII's are amazing, I cant wait to hook up mine, they are sitting in my office laughing at me lol.

ps.

when you just set the LIII's on your tank like that, did they want to tip over backwards? to me I think they are going to since that socket feels so heavy.

Comment

going to try and get a co-worker (maintenance guys here at work) to weld me a light rack out if stainless stell or a powder coated metal for them.

Mine never wanted to tip over at all.

I will be needing the large in sump reactor that you sell and I will also need the dimension of it because I am having the sump built custom. I have 40 inches of headroom in the stand wall so I don't think height is an issue its the other dimensions I need.

Gary explained it really well to me and in the long term it is really not that expensive at all even on a monster like mine

It takes me time sometimes (my wife will atest) to figure out what is going to really work best and work to acheive my goals.

I have decided to not do BB so to speak but to instead silicone the RC in place and then slather the silicone on the bottom and spread arogonite and let it set in. then vacuume the loose stuff out.

the pillars will be on the viewable long end and will lead into the outcropping and of course the rock wall will tie it all together. I am doing this because I am getting a larger school of anthias to swim in the columns and between the eventual stag forrest that will grow from them. I also bought some cave facades to connect to the pillars as arch ways between them.

Its about a total reef tank this time, a living picture of what I imagine a reef paradise would be......
        anacroporamademepoora

Comment

Hey Mike- honestly James does great work, but even he told me its better to get a sump local. i got mine through pressus in MI as you know. go with 1/2" acrylic and they will do you good, get ahold of me some time this week maybe and you can stop by and check out there work, it was pretty custom.

but James is a great guy he does not work on the weekend,

www.envisonacrylics.com go to contact page or something and the number is on there, thats the best way to get ahold of him call him!

Nick
          275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Ok Nick I will try to get a hold of a local fabricator then. Actually I could go through the FD in Ypsi for it. Should not be to insane on the price.
            anacroporamademepoora

Comment

I know FD and presus use the same guy IPI or something,, does nice work, mine was around 700 for a 48x36x18 with alot of baffles...

Nick
              275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

post pics of the sump please. thanks
                anacroporamademepoora

Comment

I started covering the stand today with mildew resustant white paint that will also seal it. Iwill post some pics later on tonight.
                  anacroporamademepoora

Comment

how well do the two LAIII's cover your tank?

Comment

they cover it nearly 100%. I want to center lighting to look a bit bluer so I am using VHO's to augment that but otherwise it covers it very well
                      anacroporamademepoora

Comment

Almost done with this just need one more coat tommorow

Then the top gets screwed down and I will get the tank up this weekend and frame the rest in.
                        anacroporamademepoora

Comment

Finished painting last night and screwed down the top OSB 5/8th thick.

I need to cut out a piece of 1/2 inch plywood for the bottom platform do the sump is sitting up on it and thats pretty much it for now with this part.

I am going to go and get some 20A DJ boards so I can build the electrical panel box fot the tank.

Anyone else here have a set up like that? If so what did you use?
                          anacroporamademepoora

Comment

got some work done today. Very close to having it all framed in too.

I will have a nice 36" french door for hte room with the tank. Should be done by Friday with the framing and the soffit above the tank. I will have to take the tank off one more time to put down the styro (we put it up today just to get it off the floor to give us room to frame.

Also doing built in book shelves and cabinets in the room so now I have to get Coral of the World LOL by Vernon as my first set to put in them

Also a thanks to OUinLA (madison) for the great deal on the special order Zeo Reactor!!!!!!!!!!
                            anacroporamademepoora

Comment

"anacroporamademepoora"

Gotta love the signature line. Great thought.
                              justdonttellmamason
                              265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

Working...
                              X