Need Advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice!

Ok my 180 is in house, the 120 came down, and some of the LR is sitting on the floor. Some of the LR I removed was pretty clean and it is currently sitting in a large tub with all my corals and equipment until its ready to transfer. The remainder of the LR has a sh*t load of valonia(sp?) and misc other nasty algae so I have no desire to use it in my tank. I decided to order 180lbs of new LR to replace the old rock.

How would you approach this situation?

Should I just put all the new rock and some of the old rock in the new tank and let it cycle? Or should I buy another big container and cure it in their? I have plenty of time and I am in no rush to get this thing up cause I want to do it right from the start. My livestock will be fine in the tubs until I am ready to roll?

Any thoughts?

Hi Jim, I'd "cure" all "old" LR for 2-3 mos. before placement, using ZEOvit + wet skimming--that is ideal. If there is little livestock going into the 180, just "cure" the LR in-tank, o/w cure it outside the main display while leaving your corals in the new 180. LR that is laden with nutrients is a never-ending headache to battle. You can use a DIY zeo-filter & backup skimmer for the LR curing process in the 120 or lg rubbermaid tub. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Bob....Just so I get this right. I should cure the new and old LR together?

Comment

Jim, depends on how clean the new LR comes in. As you know the biggest mistake we all tend to do is to set-up our new reef in one day. After regretting this on two occasions, curing ahead of time is the secret. With ZEOvit+skimmer you be able to clean the LR more rapidly than previously--it may only take a month --check the bottom for detritus that has come out from the rock. When this is very slow in reaccumulating on your tank bottom, you're set to go. Bob
        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for the imput. I think I may just end up doing all the rocks just to make sure everythings works will this time. Its so difficult to not want to set the tank up right away and play with the new toys. .

I told myself that I was going to take this very slow and do it right from the get-go so I just need to take a deep breath and relax!

Thanks again.....

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X