Salifert Phosphate test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salifert Phosphate test

Has anyone else had trouble using the Salifert phosphate test kit, or is it just me? The blue color bars are so close in shade I can't tell what's what. I have a slight blue tinge to the water, but there are about 3 different readings on the chart that it could match - I can't really tell.

I know that eventually I want the test to be clear, but in the meantime it would be nice to know how much my phosphates are coming down. It really only seems to be useful as a binary test - either you have (detectable) phosphates or you don't.

Anyone have any tips for reading the results easier?

i feel the SAME way! this thing is bad IMO, you can hardly tell which color it is, like you said the colors are SO close together, plus you have 10ml of water to look down into and its hard to tell, i think blue is a poor color to use, i think pink is a better color. blue just doesnt stand out espically in water? i think i need to find a different test thats more accurate!

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Hi Mike, agree the test is subjective & arbitrary. Sorry I can't give you some tips, just keeping pushing your P04's lower into a clear readout. At that point, many use a Hanna photometer for a more accurate low reading of the P04 level. Bob
      "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

i think the best thing i can do at this point is ditch the test kit and get one of those Hanna Photometers, maybe after i upgrade skimmers i will pick one up! i think its a good investment and no more guessing!

Nick
        275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Working...
        X