Water Temp and coral coloring/response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Temp and coral coloring/response

I've gotten a little curious after reading a Japanese reefers article. It doesnt say why, but for some odd reason this reefer turned his temperature to 23.6 degrees Celsius, then Photographed temporarily. Not sure why he did this and now Im curious. Does it help coloring?

23.6 C = 73.4 F

I keep my chiller at 26 C and that equals out to 78 F. And i know the cooler the tank, the less algae, but does it help coloration? Here's the pic he took at this temperature. Now im curious, but that would kill my electric bill if it was constantly on that temp. Maybe its good temporary while photographing?
    Attached Files

wow can't say i know the reason for doing that , but must say the tank does look very nice, DSB and all !!

Comment

I keep my tank at 22-23 in the winter (to save on heating bill) and at 28-29 during the hottest part of summer (no chiller(and will not get one either) will just use my aircon to keep the room cooler). my corals don't look any different in the winter then they do during summer. wish they did at least would have something to look forward to in the crappy cold season.

Comment

Edward,

Have you seen this?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=604948

The thread was started by my friend Brad A, after attending a presentation by Walt Smith.

Tom
        Current Tank: 75g sps restarted with ZEOvit August 2004, Aqua Connect 14K 250W SE MH x 2, SLS HQI ballasts, 54W blueplus T5s x 2, H&S A150 external (recirculating) skimmer, Tunze Stream 6060, 6000 with single controller, Geo Ca reactor, in-sump ZEOvit reactor from Madison, Aquacontroller

Comment

Thanks Tom. I didnt see that. Walt Smith is a pioneer with corals and definitely respect his view. It makes sense to keep your water cooler, but just thinking about it, may overdrive my chiller and therefore cause failure. If there was a failure in the chiller with temps low and then a couple of hrs later, the tank hit 80+, im sure there would be some problems. For now, I can keep it at 78, but during the winter, im going to lower it a bit and see what may come of it.

Comment

well keep it at 23 degree is a kill for me also my place is forever 30 plus degree keep it at 23 degree will kill the elect...

I'm keeping my tank at 26~max 27 degree only.
            ---------------------------
            180g 3 side Low Iron Glass, Lighting: ATI Power Module 10 x 80W KZ Coral Light (awiting for to mix with fiji purple), Return Pump: Red Dragon 12m3, Tunze WaveMaker:1x 6200, 3 x 6100 and 1 x 6060 + Multicontroller 7095, Bubble King 300 Internal, Deltec - PF 601S, Arctica Chiller 1/2HP, I~Zeo Reactor IZ-618

BK 300 in actionhttp://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...IDEO_00003.flv

Comment

Originally posted by keigo
              my place is forever 30 plus degree
              oh man, i wish i could say that,
              i am facing minus 35 in the winter :shoot5:

Comment

Heinz...
                Do you just take the winter off or plow with TNT?

SteveU
                “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
                ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Originally posted by Heinz
                  oh man, i wish i could say that,
                  i am facing minus 35 in the winter :shoot5:
                  Heniz you wont once u come over here.. it's so hot everyday and you sweat like hell....

Then you will wish for minus 35....
                  ---------------------------
                  180g 3 side Low Iron Glass, Lighting: ATI Power Module 10 x 80W KZ Coral Light (awiting for to mix with fiji purple), Return Pump: Red Dragon 12m3, Tunze WaveMaker:1x 6200, 3 x 6100 and 1 x 6060 + Multicontroller 7095, Bubble King 300 Internal, Deltec - PF 601S, Arctica Chiller 1/2HP, I~Zeo Reactor IZ-618

BK 300 in actionhttp://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...IDEO_00003.flv

Comment

Originally posted by GTR
                    Heinz...
                    Do you just take the winter off or plow with TNT?

SteveU
                    i have to be done on november first, thats when freezing starts, january is usally the coldest month of the year, one or two weeks minus 30+, thats the time when i ask myself, "what in the hell was i thinking to move here" while banging my head against the wall

Comment

Originally posted by keigo
                      Heniz you wont once u come over here.. it's so hot everyday and you sweat like hell....

Then you will wish for minus 35....
                      be carfull what you wish for, i like to eat and drink german beer, you would kick me out really fast
                      as for the heat, it's actually ironic, i love the heat and move to Canada, go figure :crap:

Comment

Wow, Americans using C!!

Like the Kiwi, i run at 22ish during winter (now) and struggle to keep it below 28ish in summer (need chiller). I dont see any change in colour.

Heinz Move to Aus January can have over 45!
                        Josh
                        System: 430ltr SPS ZEOvit system, Balling Method (Growtech), BubbleKing200, Profilux with LAN and Salinity
                        Lighting: Dimmbar 54w T5: D&D and KZ mixture.
                        Flow: Tunze 6060, Iwaki MX70 CL + penductors
                        BlauRiff

"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning"

Comment

Working...
                        X