Steve Tyree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Tyree

Does anyone know if Steve is active on any board? I've met him a couple times at his shop since I got my grow-out tanks and a couple other things from him but I really only got the tour and didn't discuss much else. Nice down-to-earth guy with what seems to be a passion for things marine beyond SPS. SPS may just be a way to support those other things.
    I bring this up because of this...
    Good Lordhowensis!!
    by Eric Borneman and Anthony Calfo...
    Is there something I'm missing here. The article reminds me of the Borneman article about dosing vodka which put down the article the same on-line publication refused to publish. That gave us a one side story... again.

It's a nobel thing to raise corals for the sake of saving the reefs but I can tell you for sure that nobel causes won't pay the rent, power bill and but the pig in the pot. Maybe I'm just sticking up for him cause I like his name?
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-08/ebac/index.php

SteveU
    “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
    ...Charles F. Kettering

That article was a bit....shall we say...idealistic. I mean, yes, it is like anything else...there are fads. But c'mon isn't that part of the "fun"???? It's not all about nature and conservation and ecology. At some point there's the "fun" part and that will lead to "fads" and the market driven issues...
    10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
    BK400ext
    RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
    MRC kalkmixer
    IKS

Comment

I read only parts of the article as it seemed that both contributors were stating incredibly obvious and common perspectives. As such, I might be missing some of the subtle messages. Can you summarize what it is that you find so objectionable? (I gues in short, I don't get it.)

Ted

Comment

Not sure if Tyree is active on any boards or not. If you know Frank (tropoasis), he's usually always with Steve.

Thanks for the link to the article, but I think i'll pass

Comment

They were criticizing the "industry" that has grown out of the increased popularity and ease of reefkeeping. In particular the pricing associated with "fad" corals. Personally I think it's a bit....being on your high horse. In particular given that if y'all don't think that they personally haven't benefited from the current atmosphere around the hobby....

I agree the prices are exhorbitant, but you know what? This is a capitalistic society. Money talks and you know what walks. You "vote" with your $$. If it ain't worth it to you, don't pay for it. If on the other hand some fool is willing to pay the prices...well, do you really want to blame the retailer???? In particular we're not talking about difficult to keep species or rare in the wild etc....
          10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
          BK400ext
          RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
          MRC kalkmixer
          IKS

Comment

Ted...

In short... why would someone change the way they propagate corals which currently maintains a higher demand than can be met and... is profitable.
            It's been suggested that further mother colonies be allowed to grow out so that more supply would be available so as to bring the price down on these LE pieces.
            I offer for comparison any commodity offered for long or short term trading. Why on earth would the holder/producer hold back on marketing long enough only to flood the market and drive the price of the product downward maybe to the point of it no longer being economically viable to produce/market the product? I wonder what the authors make on this hobby and how that differs in some minds.

SteveU
            “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
            ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Ah...

It's unfortunate but the market sets the price, not the importers, distributors or retailers. I feel angry that businesses are taking advantage but who could blame them?

I was kind of feeling something similar when I saw the reverence people had for Shaun Bennett and his corals. Don't get me wrong, from what I remember of Shaun's tank, his corals were beautiful. But I would be the last to brag about having a frag from the Shaun Bennett collection. I just would not be able to keep a straight face when dropping the name of guy who is really, just another person. (I say that because I know he puts his pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us. Heck, I bet there was even a time when he kept a ghetto tank with a top fathom skimmer, couldn't afford a chiller and used cheap @$$ rios for circulation.)

I guess my lack of appreciation for the designer corals (and preference for the $10 cheapy frags at the LFS) is one of the reasons that I will always be just another hobbyist that nobody ever heard of.

Ted

Edit: On the other hand, I did kind of appreciate the authors' point of view even if I don't agree with all their points. It would be boring to have everyone sharing the exact same opion.
              Last edited by adobo; 08-07-2005, 01:34 PM.

Comment

If it wasn't for some peoples abilty and desire to pay more for some things than others, we'd all still be driving black Fords.

SteveU
                ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

If it wasn't for some peoples abilty and desire to pay more for some things than others, we'd all still be driving black Fords.
                  Hey... I drive a black ford. Well actually, I drive a grey honda but I think that is about the same thing.

Ted

Comment

what you think about that ? Eric blames him self for all this
                    Originally posted by Eric
                    In a way I feel perhaps responsible for this recent fascination and concomitant exorbitant price of Acanthastrea in comparison with other corals.
                    here is my favorit part
                    Originally posted by Eric
                    I was honored to speak to the Los Angeles aquarium society, and was shown a member's tank. As I stared at the tank, the owner asked if I "saw anything special." I scrutinized the tank, feeling as though I were missing something. I looked left, and I looked right, and I looked in every nook and cranny in an instant, feeling like I was obviously obtuse in my observations of this tank. I was finally pointed toward a small fragment of an Acropora that was then explained to be one of the original and few remaining fragments of the famous "Steve Tyree Purple Monster." Without meaning offense, I must admit it wasn't terribly purple. In fact, I have some corals stuck in the back of my tank or lying on the sand with more color than this infamous specimen. I see corals with more color in most fish stores on a regular basis, yet this coral apparently commands a price of several hundred dollars for a centimeter or less. My impression is that a lot of people in this hobby have simply lost their minds!

Comment

That was a great article, but nothing we already know. If one of us screams real loud on a coral/animal no one has ever seen, it will definitely make others scream back with big wads of money in their hands. If people today are selling $1000 Versace T-shirts, then anything is possible. Or how about that Ferrari Enzo at $700K?

Oh by the way, that store Eric was talking about was a local store in Houston I stop by ever so often.

Comment

Originally Posted by Eric
                        In a way I feel perhaps responsible for this recent fascination and concomitant exorbitant price of Acanthastrea in comparison with other corals.

I had no clue he had anything to do with acans lmao, who does he think he is haha.. that is funny!

I think Eric speaks his own mind far too often. I think his head is going to explode. How can you talk bad about someone for paying what they pay for frags, if they didnt want them they wouldnt get them! Its not that hard, if you dont want to pony up the cash for a PM DONT! If you do, do!

I have heard him in person speak a few times and it was almost as boring as the talk at IMAC from a certain person, I almost didnt want to finish my dinner, and if you have seen me, you know I like to eat! .

I guess paying the price for coral is about like comparing going to listen to him speak, if you want it bad enough you will do it! I am sure others dont feel like I do about him, dont know him personally, he may be a hell of a guy, but dont bash people for paying what they pay, like Edward said, do you think Farrari has $700k in that car, bet the dont have more then 100k in parts, etc. But people pay it, b/c to them its worth it. When I get to that level I will buy one too! Maybe not an enzo but I would love a nice M5

Comment

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=2

Comment

Looking back through some old RC threads I found this one and many of you I'm sure remember it since you posted to it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...e&pagenumber=1

Reading it over again I wish Steve would share more of his experience with us and other reefers. What a wealth of knowledge and history he carries.

SteveU
                            ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

With all the mention of LE and so forth here's a question.

How many 'rare' or 'LE' corals do you think are out there which haven't been discovered or are sitting in some guy's brown bin?

Comment

Working...
                              X