Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZEOn00b - Advice needed.

Greetings!

I'm new to the forum and what a fascinating place it is! Seems I have the ZEObug and I'm ready to go but I need guidance from the sane and wise among you. Best I can tell is that you have to be careful or the tank'll be down the proverbial This is the score....

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) – 310 litres incl. sump
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) – 260 litres (20% allowance made for live rock and sand in main tank)
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique – Korallin C1502 Ca reactor running ARM media and 10% Mg chips
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) – Fluidised RowaPhos reactor – I’m thinking of converting it to a fluidised carbon reactor once ZEO is up and running but I see the recommendation is for passive use. What do you reckon?
    5. Are you using Ozone – Used to 24/7, but now only 6 hrs/day. Will stop when ZEO starts.
    6. Are you using UV - No
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) – TurboFloator 1000 but, until only 3 months ago, a Berlin Classic which has now been sacrificed to the reef gods and reborn as a ZEO reactor
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels – PO4 @ 0.008 and NO3 undetectable
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels – Ca @ 420 ppm, Alk @ 9-10 dKH, Mg @ 1350 ppm
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) – Live rock and 2 inch coarse aragonite sand in main tank, skimmer – that’s it.
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) – 2 x 150w 10K BLV’s (7 hrs/day) and 2 x 40w actinics (14 hrs/day) - all less than 3 months old
    12. What corals do you keep – now mainly SPS with xenia, shrooms, gorgonia, a few LPS
    13. Tissue color (light or dark) – dark-ish
    14. How long has the tank been running – nearly 4 years
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system – better colour, to tackle a bryopsis problem and manage NO3 & PO4 generally
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) – 3 drops of Lugol’s per week. Erm….should I stop that?
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) – 120 lbs mixed Fiji, Tampa Bay Saltwater and aragocrete, all about 4 years old
    18. Any present problems – bryopsis, slow SPS growth, some acros slowly stripping from base (suspected combination of high dKH, pooled nutrients caused by the hopeless Berlin Classic, maybe lighting as the acros are in the middle of the tank, not directly under the halides) and, err, oh yeah… bryopsis again.
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) – See 18
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) – Salifert for Ca, Mg and dKH, Interpet tablets for NO3 and Merck for PO4 – all less than 3 months old
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) – I have the basic 4 (incl. Start2) with the amino acid for SPS but not started dosing yet.
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) –
    • Temp runs 25 – 26.5OC over an average day (up to 28.5 in summer)
    • Salinity 1.024 (stable with auto-top-up – RO/DI)
    • pH 7.9 – 8.2

see it at: Zen Reef

Based on what I’ve read so far, this is the plan (Phase 1 in red)

ZEOvit 360 ml / first 6-8 weeks @ 20 gph (90 lph) …… and thereafter ...... 550 ml / 6-12 weeks @ 28-55 gph (125-250 lph) dependent on nutrient load

ZEObak and ZEOfood 2 drops daily for first 2 weeks then 2 drops every 3 days for next 4-6 weeks (until change out) and thereafter ….. 2 drops every 2-3 days for 2 weeks then 2 drops twice weekly for 4-10 weeks dependent on nutrient load

ZEOstart 0.5 ml daily for 2 weeks, 0.25 ml daily thereafter until stable then 0.2 ml daily (how do you measure such a small amount?)

Carbon 250 ml every month

Amino High 2 drops daily

Have I got it all horribly wrong? Help greatly appreciated!

Si

Hi, & welcome to ZEOvit.com. This method will help clean-up your algae problem, coupled with the improved skimmer[a good one for your reef] & good husbandry. From your information, you have a detailed concept of the ZEOvit method. It will take some time though to rid your algae problem, so be patient but diligent, manually remove this algae growth daily[toothbrush, fingers, etc] You might consider adding another powerhead or two to lift the detiritus into the water column to overflow to your skimmer & zeo-filter. You can use your Deltec P04 Rx as the zeo-filter, with "shaking " it up & down about 5-10 times once or twice a day. You do want to decrease the KH down to 6-8 guideline range & keep it stable. For now we will not use Lugol's or AAHC, just the "basic four" For your system, I recommend the following:

1)dose 1/4 ltr. carbon in a filter-bag in your sump, passively, kneaded 3 x's/wk, & changed-out monthly.
    2)dose 1/2 ltr. zeolites in your P04 Rx with the flow rate of 200 l/h. Clean the stones once or twice a day. Cycle the reactor at 3 hr. intervals of "on" & "off". Change these stones after 4 wks. which at that time increase the quantity of zeolites to 3/4 ltr. increasing the flow rate to 300 l/h. & exchange these thereafter every 6 wks.
    3)dose Bak/Food7 3 drops each daily for 2 wks. then 3 drops each 2x's/wk. Turn off your skimmer for 60min after dosing Bak/Food. Dose these[& Start2] near the zeo-filter pump.
    4)dose Start2 .5 ml 2x's/day daily. When just dosing Start2, it is not necessary to turn off your skimmer. Any questions, just fire away
    Cheers, Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Nice Avatar!

Honestly, I would look into fixing your RTN problems first. But then again, if you follow the ZEOvit guide and discipline yourself to great husbandry, then it should bring your corals health up.

Comment

Thanks guys - Tonight ZEO is Go!

I won't need the PO4 reactor for ZEO - my old Berlin has been modded for the job.

Just a quickie - would 10% water changes every two weeks be OK - only about 6 medium sized fish and 2 tiddlers in there. I only feed flake and seem to get away nicely with one or two feeds a day so I don't think I need frequent changes for that reason but if it's a matter of trace element depletion that necessitates more frequent changes, I guess I'll have to do it.

Glad you like the avatar invincible - it's tough being so handsome, but somebody's gotta do it

I'll be back right after I've ****ed it all up or when I have some progress to report......

Si

Comment

Yep, the WC's are 5-10%/wk. for the trace elements renewal for our corals. This becomes more important when one is in PhaseIII. Bob

Comment

OK, I'm now nearly 4 months in (where did all that time go? Yikes!) and about to carry out the next change out of my zeolites.

I've been following your recommendations throughout (currently, 3/4 ltr @ 300 l/h) although I probably do need a slapping over the frequency of my water changes which are still about 20%, once a month. My parameters are fairly stable at 440 Ca, 1350 Mg, 8 dkH, 1.025 SG, PO4 and NO3 both undetectable. The good news is that the bryopsis has weakened significantly - still there but hopefully not for much longer. Also, I've noticed better coral growth all round. As for colour, not as much change as I expected but certainly improved - one acro that had bleached many months ago has now recovered. The bad news is that I have two new cases of STN in my acroporas . Should I tone down the levels of zeo I'm currently using? I did reduce the ZEOstart2 down to .4ml 2x's/day as I was getting a brown film on the sand. It's still there a bit so I'm thinking about dropping that to .25ml 2x's/day. I've not started dosing anything else at this stage although I have the amino acids for SPS ready.

Can you please give me further recommendations? Also, I have occasionally forgotten to put the ZEObak back in the fridge. If you leave it out for 24 hours, is it still OK to use? Thanks again :icon_bigg .

Comment

Greetings All !

siber0 ...

Originally posted by siber0
              Glad you like the avatar invincible - it's tough being so handsome, but somebody's gotta do it
              Edward is not alone ... A "Killer Clowns From Outer Space" movie avatar ...

... you've just got to love it! ... ... ...

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
              Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Siber, which salt brand are you using ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander
                  Siber, which salt brand are you using ?

G.Alexander
                  Kent. That's my usual. Did have a brief encounter with Reef Crystals but found it precipitated out too easily when mixing.

Comment

Hi siber0, your STN is not from your ZEOvit qiuantities, although you do mention some excess signs are visible with the brownish film that is apparent on your LS. I wonder if you have had some swings in your KH or larger range swings in your temp. or salinity--any of these can result in STN. Also if you've added more corals or reefscape, a change in water flow around the corals may be at play. As regards your zeo-dosages, continue Bak as is. Decrease Food to 1 drop 2x's/wk, & Start2 to .25ml 2x's/day daily. Definitely begin AAHC at 2-3 drops daily & consider adding C-V at 6-8 drops daily. C-V like Bak is refrigerated. If your Bak is sniff-odor-free, then it's fine. Bob

Comment

Siber, how is the growth in Montipora plates and the polyp expansion in Seriatopora & Pocilopora corals ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by Aged Salt
                        ....a change in water flow around the corals may be at play.....
                        Hmm. Maybe - it seems to affect only the larger acros, particularly acropora millepora i.e. they seem to grow well initially and, when the current can't penetrate their mass as much... . Temp swings of 2-3C over the summer although usually only 1-2C but the rot set in before the summer. Salinity is spot on 24/7. Occasional hiccups with dkH when the reactor's buggered up but nothing drastically out of range.

Sorry, C-V? That's Coral Vitaliser, right? With those dosages, should I also still be using 750ml of ZEOvit on a 260 litre (net) tank?

thanks again.
                        Si

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander
                          Siber, how is the growth in Montipora plates and the polyp expansion in Seriatopora & Pocilopora corals ?
                          I've got Montipora digitata, a yellow turbinaria scroll/plate and recently a pink-rimmed capricornis. With the cap, too early to tell. The turbinaria I've had for about 3 years - slow but steady growth, decent expansion, same as the monti. The pocillopora grew quick with good expansion, until it got stung to death by a rhodactis shroom! Lost the seriatopora about 18 months ago to STN - in fact, that was the first casualty.

Si

Comment

Hi Siber0, thnx. for your follow-up. KH swings >.5 dKH can result in STN IME, & as you mentioned as our corals grow, it's important to also increase the intank current accordingly. Coral Vitalizer[C-V] should be used in every SPS tank--it's that good The zeolite quantity for your system should be 700-750ml with the flow rate of 300 l/h. Be sure that your flow is not greatly beyond this, as too harsh a flow through the zeo-reactor can cause coral consequences. A few suggestion that this time for coral color intensification:

1)dose 4 drops PIF 2x'/wk
                            2)dose K-Balance 5 ml for 3 consecetive days then 2 ml 2x's/wk with your PIF dosings.
                            3)dose 15 ml ZeoSpur-ME once a wk.
                            4)dose Fe 1 drop 2x's/wk
                            5)optional:when you corals are healthy, consider dosing Spur2 fortnightly. Follow the guide for dosing. Bob

Comment

Siber, especially K-Balance in addition with CV & AAHC could be helpful.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                              X