Yellow Acropora Gobies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Acropora Gobies

Well I've got to post a revised opinion on these fish. Up till now, I really liked them, despite claims they eat acropora polyps.

But I've just fed the fish, and watched one of the acro's put it's polyps out in response. Then as I watched, a yellow acropora goby came and perched in the acro, and then bit off polyp after polyp, until the acro pulled them all in. What really bugged me, is that he spat a lot of them out!

All I want to know now, is how to catch these gobies. Anybody got any ideas?

the cute but dreaded clown gobie.

i've never had to catch one. will he swim off the colony if you pick it up? if so, just try a basic fish trap or a diy trap. the ones made out of coke bottles seem to work well.

Comment

I have went through this. Do it midnight after light off, look for the colony that it normally "sleep" in (they tend to be less alert). Once you find him, slowly move your hand to that colony and take it out fast! I managed to get hold of him after 3 tries.. Good luck!

Comment

Sing

Comment

Originally posted by Sing
          I have went through this. Do it midnight after light off, look for the colony that it normally "sleep" in (they tend to be less alert). Once you find him, slowly move your hand to that colony and take it out fast! I managed to get hold of him after 3 tries.. Good luck!

That is exactly how I got mine out, I was lucky enough to find him sleeping in my foliosa, that was loose, and just took the whole coral with him in it out, and put him in another tank.

Comment

3/4" siphon hose has worked for me
            [it probably could have fit 1/2 without a problem, but didn't want to hurt it]

Goby is alive a year later ... siphon hose didn't hurt it.

Comment

Well thanks for the advice of lifting the coral out, I got one of them tonight he was asleep in a small acro I gently moved it into a net and lifted the whole thing out, easy!
              The other one sleeps where I can never do that, but that syphon idea may work, what a great idea! I would have never thought of that.
              Cheers, I'll update if I get him.

Comment

Well great news, I've just had a go with the syphon, and - Got Him!

All quite easy, to think I've spent the whole day worrying imagining total tank strip down, etc...

Actually it says something for the personality of these little guys, he came out the syphon into the bucket, and didn't even look the least worried, just acting totally normal. Anyhow, I think they will look good in the frag tank I grow softies in.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how the acros respond now these guys are gone. I think they were losing a lot of polyps, must take a toll.

Comment

Well just an update for interest, much more PE during the day now. Never again will I make the mistake to keep a fish reputed to be a polyp nipper!

Comment

Originally posted by wasp
                    Well just an update for interest, much more PE during the day now. Never again will I make the mistake to keep a fish reputed to be a polyp nipper!
                    LOL glad it all worked out for you! hate to say this but i am sure i told you so!! :afro:

Comment

You did! Just hated to lose them because they do add character.

But to actually see it biting big polyps off and spitting them out was more than I could take, they had to go.

Ones now in my sons FO, and the other is in one of my frag tanks.

Comment

Actually there is still a bicolor blenny, that takes a very occasional swipe at the sps. Not sure wether to pull him or not!

Comment

Originally posted by wasp
                          Actually there is still a bicolor blenny, that takes a very occasional swipe at the sps. Not sure wether to pull him or not!
                          No i think you should be fine with him!

Comment

Thanks, that's reassuring, I'll leave him.

Comment

Working...
                            X