Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

Y doesnt the VHO ballast come with a plug ?? ALso where do i get one from ?
    Nick
    Nick
    180G SPS Mainly
    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
    Calcium Reactor
    3 Tunze 6105's
    Profilux Controller
    ATB Return w/ wavysea
    ATB M External Skimmer

Nick, that would be too easy for us reefers. I bought my cord/plug from Premium Aquatics, but the home-centers should have them. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

HD, Lowes, OSH, ACE should all have them

Comment

I stole the cord off my wifes iron. She doesn't use it anyway. Ooops, I think she just spotted it.
        265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

Why don't the plugs come with a ballast ?-- That would be a much better deal

Dave B
          400g SPS Reef - 33g Surge - +30k gph Flow - Lots of DIY / 1100g Outdoor SPS System / 280g FO Watch my Reef Tank, LIVE!!!

Comment

Unless you needed a pump

Comment

Yeah ..... what i dont get is that there has to be a plug in part for the ballast you have the one part that plugs into the ballast from the end caps and then theres a small one on the other side for the plug i never done anything like this anyone have a picture ?
              Nick
              Nick
              180G SPS Mainly
              10 Bulb T5 Starfire
              Calcium Reactor
              3 Tunze 6105's
              Profilux Controller
              ATB Return w/ wavysea
              ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Originally posted by CAReefer
                I stole the cord off my wifes iron. She doesn't use it anyway. Ooops, I think she just spotted it.
                Folks, don't ya' just luv this guy?Bob

Comment

Nick... is your question how to wire the ballast to plug it into the wall or how to wire the ballast to the end caps?

What is the ballast brand/model?

SteveU
                  “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
                  ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Unfortunately, the ballasts usually have brand specific plugs for the lamp cord. The cord comes with the lamp socket. SLS is different from PFO different from IceCap etc. The PFO lamp cords can be purchased seperately from Premium Aquatics, Reef Geek and Marine Depot. I havent seen a seperate cord for the SLS ballasts, but haven't looked either. I remember reading somewhere that the PFO is a standard "molex" style plug and may be able to find one at a local electrical shop or maybe a well stocked hardware store. I feel your pain bro, it is a large PITA, but probably a way for the companys to try and keep you brand specific on both reflector and ballast. I just replaced my reflectors with the Lumenarcs and they have a completely different style of plug. Bottom line is the lamp cords are easy to wire in, 3 wires, green (ground), black (hot), white (common). Find a plug that fits your ballast, lop of both the ballast plug and the lamp cord plug and match up the wires with orange wire nuts. Don't know if this answers or helps your question, just felt like typing a little. Best o luck.

CAReefer

Hey Bob, little smart a$$ in all of us huh?
                    265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

[QUOTE
                      CAReefer

Hey Bob, little smart a$$ in all of us huh?[/QUOTE]

: Bob

Comment

the plug im asking about
                        Nick
                        Nick
                        180G SPS Mainly
                        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                        Calcium Reactor
                        3 Tunze 6105's
                        Profilux Controller
                        ATB Return w/ wavysea
                        ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Just buy one rated high enough to cover the amp draw of whatever you are wiring. This one here is 15 amps which should be fine. BE sure the one you choose has the correct male plug in configuration since higher amp rated plugs will sometimes have a distinct female receptical need.

For my pumps I prefer a non-standard plug configuation which allows it to be twisted and locked into place.

SteveU
                          “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
                          ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Ok so then i guess my next question is ......What is that plug in square on the other side of the Ballast for ? one side has one for the end cap connection then the other side has a small 4 prong connection what is it for ?
                            nick
                            Nick
                            180G SPS Mainly
                            10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                            Calcium Reactor
                            3 Tunze 6105's
                            Profilux Controller
                            ATB Return w/ wavysea
                            ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Nick... again... what ballast do you have?

Ice Cap...?... I think the 4-hole square pin connector is for a dimmer.

SteveU
                              ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Working...
                              X