Stand alone prop tank set-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand alone prop tank set-up

I have recently set up a 75 gallon prop tank separate from my main system and was curious as to what everyone thinks of "necessary" equipment and livestock. I want to keep pollution imput as low as possible.

Currently-
    75 gallon Oceanic Reef Ready tank
    30 gallon sump
    2 -250 DE Ushio 10k on SLS HQI ballast
    4 -110 VHO actinic on IceCap 660
    Aqua-C 150 (old style) skimmer rated at 150 gallons
    Korallin 1502 calcium reactor
    Phosban reactor for Zeo stones
    various power heads for interior flow.

What is necessary for biological equilibrium? No fish currently, probably only a 6 line wrasse at some point. I have about 10 lbs of cured live rock in the sump. I will probably need to add some snails at some point for algae control but have no sign of any yet so I will hold off. With the minimum amount of things in the water, do I need to supplement/feed the corals? The tank has been up and running for about 2 weeks and houses a dozen or so various frags that all seem to be doing well. The fast growing Monti digis were the first in and are doing good with some growth. Added some common acro's a few days ago and they are doing well also. Any input is appreciated.

CAReefer
    265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Hi Marshall, if you're using the complete ZEOvit method[2wks?] & your LR is cured, you're good to go with corals. Your only import would be any nutrients from your LR & coral metabolic activity. If you have a Hanna, the zeo-dosing vs. coral/fish feedings will be much easier to balance. Coral feeding is an interesting topic when one is in Phase III-Level D[] Your corals's appearance helps with determining whether to feed or not when your Hanna readings are below.03 P04. Too low of P04 readings then the coral's color & growth are adversely affected, while too high a reading, lends itself to the same scenario. But you know this. I have been feeding oyster egg zooplankton for 2 wks. & it "appears" to be helping both color & growth but again it's only been a few feedings thus far. It does add back some P04[.12/Salifert spoonful] which I dose 2x's/wk. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Thanks Bob, I haven't started using Zeo on this tank yet. Waiting on some supplies from Madison. The rock comes from my 225 zeo tank and is cured. As far as metabolic activity from corals, what is to be expected? Skimmer has yet to form enough foam to reach the top of the collection tube. I am part of the group buy and waiting for my Hanna to arrive. (I see you already got yours! I guess it really IS who you know ). So far things are looking good and colors are maintaing from the mother colony.
      265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

careefer, we need pix

bob, how long must one wait before adding corals to a newly established zeotank? i know on regular tanks it should be 6 mo. or so...

Comment

Marshal, I only ordered more P04 reagents. Besides slime production, corals produce metabolic by-products, in their mucus nets that one sees released into the water column from time to time.

Tim, with cured LR & ZEOvit, one can add some bioload at 2wks., which by then the zeo-filter will be at full capacity, which with a skimmer will be able to handle the waste. I have just recently did this very procedure with my temporary system, w/o any problems. Bob

Comment

marshall,
            i just start my new tank 2 weeks ago. i"ve been dosing zeo for one week...
            i see a little diatom algae on my "faux" sand bad,but i think its a new tank syndrome..
            i do have a couple of fishes there...i did place a frag of birdnest from my old colony...its been two days already and no problem...
            i dose start2,back/food/ac..
            i am gonia measure po4 tomorrow with my hanna test///

mike

Comment

Mike, Oh, so you got one too aye? Hopefully ours will come next week. I will take some pix tommorrow, Lights are on in the middle of the night to help control heat. My garage gets HOTTTTT with my 225 venting into that space. So far with fans and prudent use of the lights, I have been able to keep the tank under 83 degrees. I think I will get some sort of window exhaust fan just to help pull some of the heat out.

Comment

Hi Marshal, any update pix's of your new set-up? Thnx. Bob

Comment

Nothing really new, still havent gotten around to taking any pics. Yesterday I swapped out some frags for a 90 gallon 48x36x12 acrylic tank. As soon as i figure out were to put it, it will replace the 75. I will run 2 250 de hqi probably phoenix, until I can get another LA3 to cover the entire set-up. I will try to get some pics today.

Comment

Ok, here are a couple pics. Not the greatest, but you guys get the idea.

Here is the 90 gallon I picked up. 200 gallon salt bucket for size referrance.

CAReefer

Comment

that's nice. the 90 gallon will be perfect for a prop system.

Comment

Marshal, this will be a interesting set-up for you. Are you planning just corals in this reef? Thnx. Bob

Comment

The set-up will be just strictly SPS propagation. It will be stand alone with minimal pollution input. The main reason for it is I need to do some serious trimming in my display, and the LFS will only take mounted and encrusted corals. I will have enough to fill up 5 or 6 of the 90 gallon tanks but only have room/money/time for one. I want to re-design my aquascape for better flow and better coral placement, so I have lots of coral to do SOMETHING with. I will post an updated full tank shot of the display in the next day or two.

Comment

post some pics..

Comment

Working...
                            X