Naso Tang, what size tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naso Tang, what size tank?

Hey guys i was at the LFS today and they had 2 beautiful naso tangs, i would say they are about 5-6ish" and are very healthy and fat....

i was thinking of getting one for my new 275 gallon tank (60"x44"x24"), but was not sure if my new tank would be big enough?

what do you guys think? is my new tank too small?

thanks again!

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

After seeing what looks like a 10" specimen in its native habitat today, I am not sure there is a fish tank big enough for a naso tang.

Ted

Comment

Well this is an existential question really. A 6' tank is plenty for a naso for a long while, however is probably NOT a realistic permanent, forever and a half solution. Really a 10' tank is probably the theoretic ideal, that being said, I'm NOT a member of the tang police and I won't tell if you get one b/c IMO a Naso can be quite happy in the tank you are suggesting.
      10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
      BK400ext
      RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
      MRC kalkmixer
      IKS

Comment

Thanks Chuck, i agree with you 100%.

i bet that tang of yours will be happy in its new home!

i am getting a black tang for sure, but the other fish is up in the air at this point either a chevron, regal(hippo) tang, or a naso.....

who knows yet...

do you have a preference for one of the 3 mentioned?

thanks!

Nick
        275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

OoooHHHHhhh....don't mention my tangs....I lost my chevron, vlamingi and my hippos in my holding tank fiasco...
          10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
          BK400ext
          MRC kalkmixer
          IKS

Comment

Oh NO really!

i am sorry to hear about that! Did you save your angels i hope!!!!!

that really sucks Chuck! i am very sorry about that! are you going to go for a school of those small hippos when your new tank is up? by the way when is that monster going to be up? did you decide on a builder yet?

well i just decided on my final fish, its going to be a black tang, chevron tang, and a conspic angel!!!!

what do you think? do you see any problems? i think it will look really cool..... give me your thoughts here!

the list is 5 fairy wrasses, lineatus, rhomboid, labouti, orange back, and a blue sided fairy wrasse, 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 foxface lo, 1 blueface angel (may take him out when i transfer but am unsure, he is growing on me, but he is still attacking my foxface after a good month, must not know the venomus spines, haha...), then the black tang, chevron tang, and conspic angel to round it out....

what do you think?

would you do anything different?

thanks!

Nick

Comment

The tank is being installed 8/7 or so. Unfortunately my foundation reinforcement won't be done by then so the fill needs to wait.

The only fish that made it (and they seem curiously completely fine) were my chrysurus angel, 3 purple tangs and a niger trigger. EVERYTHING else crumped. It was pretty horrible.

I consider tangs and fairy wrasses to be a bad combo period.

Otherwise seems fine to me. Other than your psycho blue face.
              10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
              BK400ext
              MRC kalkmixer
              IKS

Comment

sorry to hear about your livestock chuck.

Comment

haha, yeah my blueface is a big time psycho, i am thinking of sending him to a good shrink, haha....

why do you think fairy wrasses and tangs are a bad combo? they get along fine with my blue face? and he is mean!

let me know!

thanks!

Nick

Comment

Fairy wrasses are....well in general spooky. Tangs may make them hide constantly.
                    10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
                    BK400ext
                    MRC kalkmixer
                    IKS

Comment

ok, thanks for the info....

man now i have no vlue what to do...

any suggestions on a fish to add Chuck?

thanks!

Nick

Comment

Well, transfer your existing stock. Wait awhile. Let the Fairy's get real comfortable. Then work out your angel issues. Then the chevron (not such an aggressive fish) and finally the black or whatever.
                        10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
                        BK400ext
                        MRC kalkmixer
                        IKS

Comment

yeah i figured the chevron could go in, since they are less agressive like you said,

then figure out what to do with the pyscho blueface, then get the conspic angel, then maybe get the black tang or maybe not....

thanks again Chuck!

Nick

Comment

Working...
                          X