Fish stores in the Big Island?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish stores in the Big Island?

I am lucky enough to be spendig a few days in the Big Island (Kona?)....

I thought they would have some really wicked fish stores here. So far, I've only found three listings in the phone book. One is an aquarium maintenance place, the other is a wholesaler. Feeling disappointed, I am hesitant to call the last listing.

Anybody know if there are any cool fish stores here? I would hate to have to go snorkling to get my fish and reef fix.

Ted

Don't expect to see any reef tanks! it is 1. illegal to collect and keep hawaiian corals without a research permit and 2. the sale of corals is illegal in Hawaii lest some non natives were to be released. It is ironic that reef tanks as we recognize them are all but banned in HI.
    Jake Adams
    Reef Builders

Comment

They don't really. Stokely's is good in the sense that IF you want something, they can have the collectors get it for you and have 'em packed up for the day you leave.

Hawaii doesn't joke around when it comes to regulating the ornamental fish industry.

Reef tanks are majorly illegal.

Fish wise you can only keep what is available locally.

Finally, you gotta be realistic about the big island and Kona. There are the big resorts, but short of that, there aren't like a lot of people with a ton of disposable income around to support nice stores. It's a very, very quiet place that's great for a vacation, but the people who live there are by and large workin' joes without a lot of disposable income. I love visiting the place, but I would NOT live there.
      10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
      BK400ext
      RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
      MRC kalkmixer
      IKS

Comment

As reality set in, I decided to try snorkling for the first time... ever.

Can I say that it is about a million times better than my reef tank? The resort I am staying at has a lagoon. I got into the lagoon with a mask on, stuck my head in the water about 3 feet from shore. Guess what was looking at me? Must have been the largest dogface puffer I've ever seen. So far, I must have seen over 20 triggerfish, hundreds of tangs (though only about 10 have been yellow), and schools and schools of damsels. There are all kinds of other fish there but I have no idea what they are. I've even seen some butterflies. All within about 50 feet from shore. I've seen about 10 sea turtles too.

Thanks for the reality check guys. The good news is I think I found another way to get my fix for fish and corals.

Ted

Comment

If you are snorkeling around Kona go to Honaunau (The Place of Refuge) and Captain Cooks.

If you are up in Kohala try Puako (you gotta swim out past the reef and check out the open ocean side--ie don't do this if it's rough out) and the reef off of the Mauna Lani Beach Club (not the hotel, it's just south of the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel.)
          10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
          BK400ext
          MRC kalkmixer
          IKS

Comment

Oh yeah, make sure to try the firerock ale from kona brew. excellent brew IMO.
            10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
            BK400ext
            MRC kalkmixer
            IKS

Comment

Working...
            X