Alk and ph Delemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alk and ph Delemma

Hey guys an update on the kalk seems to be working ph is at 7.85 and does not move at all. My issue right now is Alk. Its is at 12.5 dkh Due to the low ph calification turned into a standstill and alk have yet to fall. My Ca reactor has been turned off for 3 days now, (just the co2). The only thing that is conributing to the Alk is the Kalk which is only mixed at 1/4 tsp per gallon, no where near saturated.

Now I have 2 routes I can follow in order to get the Alk down:

1) Keep kalk as top off so that ph can be kept as high as possible for calcification to resume (without Kalk if you remember 7.45 - 7.5) and a few 20% H2O changes to help, with 2 days in between each. This would take longer to get down but I believe that it will be the best way.

2) Stop Kalk and do some water changes to help lower. at the low ph I dont know how well this will work.

I need some insight guys. I think that number one will be the best way due to a lot of my corals did show tissue loss but it seems to have ceased. I just need them to grow back now.
    Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Any idea why the pH is running so low on your system?

Any way to confirm your reading, even with a reagent based test at the LFS?

Hard to say how long it will take for the kh to drop even with the small amount of limewater being added since it depends on the tank. I can't remember, did you confirm this low pH is from co2 in the house?

SteveU
    “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
    ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

just to add.... IIRC, water changes alone will really not solve your problem with the low pH only the high kh. If you continue enough limewater to temporarily elevate the pH you will just end up driving the kh up again. This I've found in the past to just be a roller coaster ride that's not so good for the corals.

SteveU
      “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
      ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Low pH: Causes and Cures

Comment

The low ph is due to Co2 Buildup in the home, I have my skimmer intake run to fresh air and it helps but not that much. once I get into my new home I most likely will now have this problem, my condo is just sealed to tight My system usually uses about 1 dkh a day but as of righ now I dont believe it is using much, but over the past week my corals have looked healthier than when it was running a a low ph. The problem I finding is to get my ph higher I have to run my alk higher which means no zeo for a while
          Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Comment

Both kalk, and a calcium reactor, add alkalinity and calcium in balance with each other.
            Therefore, to drop alkalinity, stop kalk dosing and the ca reactor, and just add enough calcium chloride daily to maintain calcium, and allow alkalinity to fall to where you want. Once alk and ca are where you want, restart kalk or your ca reactor to maintain those levels.

Comment

Another thought, this is more a follow on from your previous thread re PH, if piping outside air to the skimmer is still not doing the trick, maybe running an airstone in the sump may help, with air brought in from outside. There was a thread on RC where a guy had had success with this.
              I'm also not sure about your setup, but if the top is totally blocked off by a hood, perhaps a small fan to bring air into the hood will help?

Comment

Here is a useful post http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...10#post5359610

Comment

The airstone is a great idea, I wish I had thought of that

Are you confident that your ph and alk readings are accurate? I would double check them to make sure, maybe have the lfs do a test.

Comment

Thanks wasp. The readings are acurate, I tested them with my dads test kits against mine. I have decided for the time being just to keep dosing kalk to keep my ph up. I did however findout that the alk spike was not due to kalk but do to dolomite that I added to my reactor. everything seems to be taken care of for the time being. I did however decide to stop zeo for a while until after I move into my new house. I just dont like the idea of kalk and zeo, Some have used it with no problems but with my luck I will have problems.
                    Sean

Comment

Working...
                    X