start2 and phosphate test kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• start2 and phosphate test kits

Does anybody know if Start2 affect a test kit's ability to read nitrates? My deltec test kit is acting funny tonight. I just dosed about .4 ml about an hour ago.

Ted

Ted, ZeoStart does not affect the NO3 tests. However, I have never used the Merck kit.

Maybe someone is using the same test kit and can post his experiences.

G.Alexander

Comment

Sorry about that... I meant phosphate tests.

My test kit was reading 0 (or actually, not reading anything) and so naturally, I thought there was something wrong with the test kit. So then, I tested a solution that had frozen fish food for phosphates and that seemed to read pretty well. According to Deltec Doug, the kit is fine.

It's sort of interesting because for a few weeks, I was pretty un-methodical with zeovit. I would put start2 in whenever I remembered which was not often at all. I guess this actually works.

Ted

Comment

Ted, do you mean you use zeo since some weeks (4 basics) and you can not detect PO4 in the tank with the deltec PO4 test kit ? I think it is the merck test you are talking about ?

G.Alexander

Comment

I've been using zeo for about 2 month now. Originally, phosphates were reading aroun .03 ppm P. Now it is undetectable. The tank is a little less than 3 months old I think. I used some old sand along with some new sand. Perhaps the phosphates were bound in the old sand.

Ted

Comment

Nothing uncommon. I have used the Merck test for a while and there was no colour change noticeable.

Now I would recommend you to lower the ZeoStart dosage to a level that does not show the increase of PO4. Maybe the usage of 1/3 over one week would be a good start.

G.Alexander

Comment

Reduce start2 only or do I reduce zeofood and zeobak as well?

Ted

Comment

Ted, what is your present dosage of ZeoBac & ZeoFood ?

Do you also dose AAHC (Amino Acid) and if how often and how much ?

Thanks, G.Alexander

Comment

Zeobak
                  - 4-6 drops every other day. Half the dosage is added in the morning, the other half in the evening. (And I have forgotten on a couple of occassions).

Zeofood
                  - 4 drops every other day. Half the dosage is added in the morning, the other half in the evening. (And I have forgotten on a couple of occassions).

Zeostart
                  - .8ml everyday. Half the dosage is added in the morning, the other half in the evening. (And I have forgotten on a couple of occassions. I've been quite negligent over the past couple of weeks actually)

Zeolith
                  - Was running about a liter. Total system volume is about 120 gallons. I did a zeolith change out the other day... put in about 3/4 liter of new zeo and just a few rocks from the old zeo to seed.

I haven't tested for nitrates recently but will do so tonight. Last time I checked it, it was around 2ppm. I don't supplement with anything else other than tropic marin bio calcium. I will eliminate bio calcium once my new calcium reactor gets dialed in.

Ted

Comment

Ted, if you have the feeling your nutrients are already poor, I would suggest to lower the dosage a little bit as follows:

ZeoBac: 2 - 3 drops 2 x weekly / 2 weeks after the zeolite change 2 drops every other day.
                    ZeoFood: - 3 drops 2 x weekly / 2 weeks after the zeolite change 2 drops every other day.
                    ZeoStart2: 2 - 3 drops in the morning and 2 - 3 drops in the evening daily.
                    AAHC (AminoAcids): 2 drops daily
                    The zeolite (ZeoVit) quantity looks fine to me. Please make sure you daily mix up them material. The water flow should be around 60 – 80 US gal. per hour. Change the material every 6 – 8 weeks.

Additional I would also recommend 300 ml carbon (PO4 free) placed in a filter bag in the passive water flow in the sump.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                    X