Possible Spur overdose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Spur overdose?

After the stunning results shown by Jeff after his Spur dosing, I went and bought a bottle yesterday from Brendan.
    Last night I dosed at 1/2 recomended amount, and this morning, yes, some really glowing colors. This did take me a little by surprise though as I had thought there would be no effect at the 1/2 dose and I would slowly work up to it.
    But now it's around 2.30pm, (I'm in New Zealand) one coral in particular has gone extremely light glowy type nearly white color, I'm just a bit concerned about bleaching. I have some other tanks available, wondered if I should put this coral in a different tank for a few days just to make sure it's OK?

It can't hurt to move the coral if you're really worried about it. At half dosage I don't see any results. I actually have to use more than the recommended dosage. but, when i've overdosed in the past, I never lost anything and the following day things looked better.

Comment

Thanks, I will do that it's my favorite coral. Maybe I'm just being paranoid because it's my best one I'm not sure.
      Next time I'll do 1/4 dose and gradually increase from there until I get it right.

Comment

If the coral seems to be in distress then moving it may add to the stress.
        400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Alastair, the quantity of ZeoSpur2 which is needed in ones system is directly linked to the nutrients. There is one good thing with the effect you have observed. You can be sure nutrients are really low in your system. Be careful, do not use the product to often.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks. I've been observing carefully and the corals including the one I'm worried about still have polyps out so I guess they must be feeling OK, I've decided to leave the one where it is, but watch closely.
            That's interesting about the relationship with nutrients. I'll definately be dosing a much lower amount next time.
            Another question also, does the regular use of Spur effect growth, either for good or bad?

Comment

Hi Alastair, yes, Spur2 has a "lightening" effect[ie. enough to lower the zoox. density] has a added benefit of stimulating growth. Bob
              "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

It will heal up if you leave it alone and not dose spur for a while. Feed and add AA's.

Comment

Originally posted by Aged Salt
                  Hi Alastair, yes, Spur2 has a "lightening" effect[ie. enough to lower the zoox. density] has a added benefit of stimulating growth. Bob

This is the part I don't understand. ( or one of the many I guess ).

Since zoox supply energy and whatever for the coral how does reducing them increase growth?

Comment

Originally posted by invincible569
                    It will heal up if you leave it alone and not dose spur for a while. Feed and add AA's.
                    Thanks Invincible. Other than color it seems to be looking fine, so I did exactly that, I've got some of that ReefBooster coral food so I fed a bit of that last night + some AAHC, I've stopped dosing Start altogether for now. All looking OK thismorning, although color still very whitish.

Comment

Allistar some corals def react much different then others to spur 2... I think you will be fine. I also noticed a BIG increase in growth when I started using this spur2 a couple few months ago...

Comment

I'm wondering if the Spur may supply the coral with what the zoox would have?

Comment

Alastair, this is what I have observed & this growth has also been noted by Alexander. Here's how I try to explain what we see: the coral rids itself of some zoox after the Spur2 dosage. These are the older zoox. which overtime are less effective in supplying energy to the coral. These "old" zoox. will be replaced with new, young, zoox after a wk. or so which are more metabolically active, producing more energy for the coral to perform skeletonogenesis, etc. Bob
                          "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

i dose the recommended amount nowadays, after increasing it slowly. the only coral that turns / looks white after dosing is my brown xenia it becomes almost transparent. this only last a couple of days and its back to normal.

Comment

Thanks. All very interesting!

I'm allowing nutrient levels to rise a bit, and I'll be hanging on for that growth spurt

Comment

Working...
                              X