Ocean vs Tank Aquacultured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean vs Tank Aquacultured

So, I was bumming around some sites, looking at various frags. I like to shop for aquacultured frags for a number of reasons. Saves the environment, cheaper, hardier, etc. But then I started to think (I know, dangerous area)...are ocean "aquacultured" frags as hardy as their tank aquacultured counterparts?
    They are still coming out of the ocean environment, so I would think they are just as fragile as whole wild colonies...or am I wrong?
    T.J.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Tank aquacultured corals have been aclimatized to captive conditions, ocean aquacultured have not so tank raised corals have the advantage here.
    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

It shouldnt matter too much. Not sure if you noticed, but people who buy aquacultured usually have a better chance of survivability. Thats just from experience and Im not going by where it was raised. Fiji corals are a little more delicate and may need a great stable setup in order for your changes to be high

Comment

Originally posted by invincible569
        It shouldnt matter too much. Not sure if you noticed, but people who buy aquacultured usually have a better chance of survivability.
        I gues that's what I'm getting at. Does it matter if it's tank vs ocean aquacultured? I'm leaning towards tank versions being a little more hardy. But should we stay away from ocean ones...no, I don't think so.
        T.J.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Comment

Can't remember which company or even country it was from but I had a presentation CD from someone with pics of the grow out in the open water. They had metal mesh for holding the colonies and more algae than a gazillion turbo snails or sea hares could ever eat. I'm not sure the lagoons they use to grow out have better conditions than our closed systems.

SteveU
          “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
          ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

I'm with Timon here, IME, ocean aquaculture frags & wild ocean colonies exhibit the same hardiness, unlike tank-raised frags which are more adaptable to different reef water conditions. The problem with larger wild colonies is not only the more difficult shipping process for them but also the adaptive process is more difficult. Bob
            "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Bob, have you (or anyone else) noticed a detecable difference between a wild colony and an ocean aquacultured one? Also, in your experience, do corals seem to adapt faster to a Zeo system vs a non-Zeo system?
              T.J.

Comment

Hi TJ, small-medium sized wild & ocean-aquacultured corals exhibit the same hardiness. IME, the difference depends on the species of SPS, as some just do not adapt as well as others. This may also have to do with their differing ability to slime in transit. It is well known among importers, that some corals are not good "shippers". In low-nutrient zeo-tanks, SPS definitely, IME, hold their imported color, but obviously, any very nutrient-poor waters will do the same whether using ZEOvit or not. The difference is in degrees. Having said the above, many corals will dull at first even in low-nutrient waters due to photo-adaption process & the quantities of elements in the water which one can not test--these elemental quantities in water composition differs from tank to tank, as does the amount of current around the corals, which affects coral coloration. Bob
                "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

My experience here may vary, since I get the opportunity to get the Ocean Aquacultured and Ocean Wild regularly, and I also get them with the least amount of shipping time of most people.

I pick up the corals as they land at LAX. So sometimes within an hour of clearing customs they are being acclimated to my system.

Fiji wild corals are like a last call date. You get them and they look fantastic, incredible colors, bright, vivid, multi. But then when you wake up with them in the morning it's not quite what you remember. And the colors just seem to fade from day 1. Eventually the coral will color back up to something nice, but I have yet to see a wild colony with outrageous colors which months later looks the same as when it first arrived in the US.

While there are several companies that ship from Fiji, only 1 collector gets colors to the US which most hobbiests druel over.

The Bali Aquacultured arrives looking good to great. And usually within a week look outstanding. And within a month or two have adapted to tank life and become spectacular tank highlights.

I have also received Bali Wild colonies, within the same shipment. The Bali Wild arrives with some losses (DOA) and usually has a challenge adapting to my tanks.

I should mention that having been on hand for several Fiji shipment, there are always a percentage of DOA's. There are also those corals which while not DOA are stressed, partially dry, RTN'ing upon arrival (these are the corals I collect for my outside system). The Bali Wild also has percentage of DOA's.

Having handled several Bali Aquacultured shipments, the DOA rate is significantly less. Within several hundred pieces you "may" see only 1 or 2 DOA's.

The Bali aquacultued corals are packed much better, and the corals ship much better.

I have also seen these better packing techniques used with Aquacultured pieces from Timor, Sulawesi and Vanuatu.

I think with the aquacultured pcs since the sizes are smaller, and more consistent the ability to pack the corals better (sometimes inverted and floating) helps with making their shipping much easier on the coral, and giving the hobbiest a better chance with the coral.

However, caution should be had with any source. I have found on Bali Aqualcultured pcs that upon arrival the Monti's had montipora eating nudibranchs. I have found these on several occassions from different shipments.

And on a recent shipment of gorgeous pieces from Timor, I found Acrpora eating Flatworms while acclimmating the corals.

So be very careful regardless of the source to dip and check everything.

Dave B
                  400g SPS Reef - 33g Surge - +30k gph Flow - Lots of DIY / 1100g Outdoor SPS System / 280g FO Watch my Reef Tank, LIVE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by o2manyfish
                    While there are several companies that ship from Fiji, only 1 collector gets colors to the US which most hobbiests druel over.
                    Dave B
                    Walt Smith?

Also, I also noticed that a lot of bali stuff does have the monti eading nudi's!

Comment

Invinc,

I didn't want to be plugging any one company. But Walt manages to collect and ship corals that arrive looking amazing.

I see the same corals arrive at other wholesalers, that are brown, darkened, bleached, but you would not guess came from the same place at the same time.

Dave B
                      400g SPS Reef - 33g Surge - +30k gph Flow - Lots of DIY / 1100g Outdoor SPS System / 280g FO Watch my Reef Tank, LIVE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by o2manyfish
                        Fiji wild corals are like a last call date. You get them and they look fantastic, incredible colors, bright, vivid, multi. But then when you wake up with them in the morning it's not quite what you remember.

Dave B
                        OMG, that has to be the best coral analogy, ever!!!!

Anyways, Dave, thanks for that load of info. That's exactly what I was looking for. So, based on your experience, the Bali aquacultured seems to be a pretty hard/colorful choice. I just hate to waste $$ and coral lives on "hoping" that something will make it in our tanks. Thanks again!
                        T.J.

Comment

dave,

what kind of dips do you do on your corals? do you QT them?

Comment

TJ,

First choice is always to get something from another hobbyist. Being in So Cal there are so many hobbiests, with amazing corals, within a relatively close distance to be able to share/trade/barter.

However, I have spoken with many people in which their entire region and club, everyone has all the same corals and everything has been swapped 3x over.

So if you want to add something new to your tank and hence your region/club/friends - choosing aquacultured is a smart thing to do.

Dave B

Comment

Jonah,

For dips, given the heat this time of year I like a nice cream dip with a hint of lemon and dill.

I don't like the salsa dips. I don't really like spicy dips.

The guacamole is good, but I recommend serving it on ice so it keeps the colors of fresh fji (or zeo) rather then quickly turning brown.

Dave B

Comment

Working...
                              X