Calcium Reactor Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calcium Reactor Problem

Help! My Calcium Reactor is not maintaining my Calcium Levels at the desired level which is at 450. Today I did a test and the current calcium is at 330! What could I be doing wrong with the reactor?

Thanks,
    Vinny

Maybe you need to increase your bubble count (CO2) and slow your drip rate? Also, a 2nd chamber (if you don't have one) can increase CA along with reducing CO2 levels entering your tank.
    T.J.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Comment

Vinny, before you do anything make sure your test kit is working fine.

G.Alexander

Comment

Good point G.

The fingers type faster than the brain sometimes!
        T.J.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Comment

I would also test KH/ALK. Bumping calcium production through the reactor will also increase KH. With zeo it is not recommended to exceed 8dkh.
          Good Luck,
          Chad

Comment

My Calcium testkit is brand new, I got it 2 weeks ago and expires in 2009 so I know it's accurate.

What can I do to keep a constant Calcium level in my tank, do I increase the drip rate from the output of the reactor?

Thanks

Comment

Hi Vinny, yes, increasing the bubble-count will dissolve more aragonite. I run my with the bubble-count at 30 & the effluent at 60 drops/min, but I have a double-barrel CR. Set your effluent to 60-100drops/min & leave it there while you adjust your bubble-count. Only adjust the bubble-count no more than once /24hr.for it takes time for the mineral levels to change on your testing. Bob
              "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Vinny, what is your Alk?
                400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

I'll have to test for that tonight. BTW, my calcium reactor is a dual chamber.

Comment

Def, check the Alk, If you Increase the Bubble count you will see a jump in dKH a lot more that ca. If your Ca is low your alk should be too
                    Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel3443
                      If your Ca is low your alk should be too
                      I thought the two were inversely related? If his ca is low, wouldn't his alk be on the high side?
                      --Matt

Comment

Vinny, whats your current drip rate a bubble count?

Comment

Originally posted by tonkadawg
                          I thought the two were inversely related? If his ca is low, wouldn't his alk be on the high side?
                          Not exactly. If one is extremely high then the other has to be low. One being low doesn't mean the other is high though
                          400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Now you made me think matt

Ok the reaction taken is

CaCO3 + H+ yields Ca++ + HCO3-

It is a 1:1 reaction. Which shows and increase of 1 Ca++ also has an increase of 1 HCO3- It is directly proportional.
                            Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

Sean you are way over my head - I am an IT geek, not chemist
                              --Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X