Maybe Stopping Zeo for a while :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe Stopping Zeo for a while :(

Hey Guys I may need to stop Zeo for a while due to low ph of my tank. As you that have seen my thread on my new tank I ran my skimmer intake outside and to no avail my ph is still extremely low 7.6-7.7 I know its due to excess Co2 but I cannot open up my windows----it is way too hot and humid. My only option is to drip Kalk which is a no no on the Zeo system. The only way I can still use Zeo is to drip kalk as well---and I do not think I am willing to do this.

If anyone has any other insights pls. advise, but I do not see any other way I will most likely start Zeo when I move out of my condo and into my new home (older home which I know is not sealed up like a sardine can ) which may not be until next spring, earliest would be after Hurricane season.
    Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

dont they make ph buffers?

Comment

Are you running a cal reactor? If so try putting the output into a large plastic glass. And then run an air line from a airpump to help blow off the excess CO2. It has worked very well for me.

Comment

Sean, dripping Kalk is not recommended on any system, not necessarily related to Zeo. I think it is still more beneficial to continue with Zeo than to stop regardless of you kalk use.

Is it really necessary to use the Kalk though? There are other ways to raise your PH.
        400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

why not try running fan to help reduce the heat and also move the air...
          go for kalk is a bad option....
          ---------------------------
          180g 3 side Low Iron Glass, Lighting: ATI Power Module 10 x 80W KZ Coral Light (awiting for to mix with fiji purple), Return Pump: Red Dragon 12m3, Tunze WaveMaker:1x 6200, 3 x 6100 and 1 x 6060 + Multicontroller 7095, Bubble King 300 Internal, Deltec - PF 601S, Arctica Chiller 1/2HP, I~Zeo Reactor IZ-618

BK 300 in actionhttp://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...IDEO_00003.flv

Comment

Maybe turn off the Ca reactor and use a two part solution for a while.

BTW why worry about humidity from outside when the tank is inside? :p
            400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

the issue with kalk is that it might prevent some of the phosphates from being exported. It won't harm your corals in any way to use kalk and zeo together. there are people that do use both. so if it fixes your problem, then I say go for it!!! Do you have a 2nd chamber for your ca reactor? That's another option

Comment

What is your KH and Ca level?

If KH and CA level is maintained, Isn't it OK?

How about using crossflow fan? it is nice..

www.spsholic.com

Comment

What happens is that the kalk precipitates phosphates. These phosphate salts will remain dormant in your system and can be disolved and leach phosphates back into your system at a later date.

This process has nothing to do with Zeovit and will happen either way. The reason why it's not compatible with concept of the Zeovit system is that our goal is to eliminate phosphate and nutrient sinks in our tanks and kalk will create a phosphate sink.

Also is your PH reader calibrated properly?

Comment

Sean, maybe the new salt from korallenzucht would be a good thing with your problem. It has a higher PH, so since using the salt my PH level has risen. The fresh saltwater has a PH around 9.5

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

As for temp of the tank it runs at about 77-79 with 2 fans running, one blowing across the sump and one blowing across the top of the water. No need to move more air.

Orion, I did recalibrate my probe and it is fine I was hoping that was the problem.

Its just a one chambered reactor. At the moment I have no room for a second chamber

BTW, any Idea where I can locat one of those fans that Vince posted here in the states?

Alexander, I use NSW and have never been a big fan of mixing my own salt. All my corals seem to like the NSW

What I am going to try is adding Kalk to my auto top off system. Like I said this is only tempoary until I move into my new house At my old house the ph ran at 8.1 to 8.2 with the reactor, and when I moved back into my condo the tank is having ph problems like it did when my old tank was here. When the tank is out of tis condo and in the house there will be no adding kalk My only concern is keeping the alk down with kalk as well. I guess I will dial back my reactor slightly today before I add kalk to my topoff.
                      Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Orion76
                        dripping Kalk is not recommended on any system, not necessarily related to Zeo.
                        Man thats news to me, is there any particular reason why you frown on this time tested method? Is there any evidence to show that precipitated phosphate can redissolve in the tank?
                        Last edited by coralite; 07-13-2005, 08:28 AM.
                        Jake Adams
                        Reef Builders

Comment

Originally posted by coralite
                          Is there any evidence to show that precipitated phosphate can redissolve in the tank?
                          Is there any reason why it couldn't?

Comment

Sean, as Fonda[Znut reefer] mentioned aerating the effluent does bloww off excess C02, & certainly worth a try before messing with KW. But as Madison said, some reefers have had success with ZEOvit method while dripping KW. Bob
                            "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Bob, the reason why, although definatly a good suggestion, is that I did not Have problems due to reactor CO2. If I airate the effluent with my inside air it will still be low. Right now my ph in the tank is 7.5
                              Sean

Comment

Working...
                              X