Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing Magnesium

Good Morning All,

My Magnesium is sitting on the low side. It is currently at 1110. Please can you advise a product that would increase this. I have read that Epsom salts do the trick, but does anyone know the dosing rate and whether this is OK to use with ZEOVIT.

Cheers
    Che

Ive been using Kents Mg only when I do my water changes. I also use Grotech's Mg rocks in my Ca Reactor.

Comment

I use seachems magnessium, it works well for me and it is cheaper on liveaquaria.com It is harder however to maintain higher magnessium levels if the salt mix you are using every week has lower mag. levels. Even if you get your mag. where you want it, after you do a water change it will drop dramatically if your salts mag. is low.
      You're Norma Desmond you used to be big.

I am big it's the pictures that got small.

From the classic movie "Sunset Boulevard"

Comment

Here's a link to a calculator to estimate the amount needed.
        http://www.andy-hipkiss.co.uk/mgcalc.htm

SteveU
        “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
        ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I will use epsom salts (after double checking the value tonight).

Just a quick question, will all these additional salts alter salinity, presume this will push my salinity up. My current salinity is 1.025.

Cheers

Comment

I use seachem MG and Grotech MG supplement in CA reactor

I think Grotech MG is not raising MG, just maintain MG level. and Seachem MG is

good to raise MG. Not raising KH,salinity.

www.spsholic.com

Comment

seachem here too but i think it's just expensive epsom salt..hehe

Comment

Thanks all,

Thats what i was thinking. It looks just like epsom salts but cost so much more. Seachem in Australia is very expensive.

I'm going to get some Grotech MG media for my CA reactor. Hopefully this will maintain my levels.

Thanks again.
                Che

Comment

Originally posted by AUSTZEOHEAD
                  Thanks all,

Thats what i was thinking. It looks just like epsom salts but cost so much more. Seachem in Australia is very expensive.

I'm going to get some Grotech MG media for my CA reactor. Hopefully this will maintain my levels.

Thanks again.
                  Che
                  Just for your info,

I changed my salt to Tropic Marine Proreef and i am able to maintain my magnesium level. Initially i have very low mg even putting the grotech mg in my ca reactor. Seems like it needs low pH in the reactor to works, unless you can replace with zeovit mg granulate. So i dose everynite TP Mg until it raise from 700ppm to 1200ppm for about 1 mth or more. Been spending much on raising the mg level. But when using TP Proreef salt, it maintain that level and never seems to drop.

Comment

Austz...
                    Your mention of the salinity is true. It will raise the salanity some but my concern with Epsom salts is the imbalance that it can create if continual use is needed. Being Magnesium Sulfate, the sulfates might be raised higher than NSW even if the salinity measures correct.
                    I don't know this for a fact but I don't think that magnesium supplements being sold in the hobby are repackaged epsom salts and therefore carry the higher price.
                    When chosing a salt mix the magnesium level is important to me as it is the most costly to correct.
                    SteveU
                    “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
                    ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Thanks guys for the info,

I now know why my MG levels droped. I use NSW for water changes and the level i get in NSW is 1280. However our salinity runs high at 1.028.

So i have slowly reduced the salinity to 1.025 by using RO water. That would explain why my MG levels have been wiped. I have replaced approx 40L volume over time with FW.

Maybe i should be looking at mixing up some of my own salt. I'm limited to what brands i can buy here in Australia. What is the RedSea salt like?

Cheers
                      Che

Comment

red sea salt suck big time...
                        I will go for tropic marine pro if possible... I'm using it now and find it gd... result is at NSW...
                        ---------------------------
                        180g 3 side Low Iron Glass, Lighting: ATI Power Module 10 x 80W KZ Coral Light (awiting for to mix with fiji purple), Return Pump: Red Dragon 12m3, Tunze WaveMaker:1x 6200, 3 x 6100 and 1 x 6060 + Multicontroller 7095, Bubble King 300 Internal, Deltec - PF 601S, Arctica Chiller 1/2HP, I~Zeo Reactor IZ-618

BK 300 in actionhttp://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...IDEO_00003.flv

Comment

Or try Oceanic, I use it with no problems but due to the recent issues with the salt, use at your own risk
                          Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

anyone have a link to buy some of this mag supplement? i just tested at mine was at 1150, (new safilert mag test) anyway i am using reef crystals and will have to test my next batch, but where can i pick up some of this stuff?

thanks!

Nick
                            275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Liveaquaria.com

marinedepot.com

Anywhere that sells test kits usually sells it.

Comment

Working...
                              X