Help .. strange STN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help .. strange STN

I have notice a very slow tissue necrosis on a valida colony. The problem is at the base of the coral. It isnt because of lack of flow. The progress has been very slow the past 3 days. It started about the size of an pencil eraser and is now about almost the size of a dime. I have stopped all dosing today. I have been using zeo for about six months. I pulled my sand bed a little over a month ago. At that time I had an increase in nutrients but no bleaching or problems (just sps darkening) I have been using start 1 since I started and have had no problems. I am using the basic items on my tank (rocks, start, bak, and food). I was dosing the following: (40 gal tank- 6 gal sump)

2 drops bak/ food - twice a week
    .10ml start - twice daily (total .20ml) (corrected typo..sorry )
    Change rocks at 6 week intervals.

All tank parameters at a NSW levels. Any ideals what is wrong and what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph
    Last edited by SCARYBO; 07-12-2005, 01:20 PM.

20ml of start a DAY in a roughly 40 gallon system? I use .6ml a day in my net 200 gallon system...

Comment

As jeff said, that this point hold the zeo-dosages for another 2-3 days then resume the same bak/food doses. Reduce Start1 to .25ml 2x's/day. When I used Start1 on my 450g system, I dosed Start1 .1ml 2x's/day & that was good to hold N's/P's inline[Salifert's neg.] I've since switched to Start2[no TN] & use a Hanna to measure my P's. Bob
      "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

I dose about 6ml/day of Start in my 400g tank...
        400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Originally posted by gqjeff
          20ml of start a DAY in a roughly 40 gallon system? I use .6ml a day in my net 200 gallon system...

Opps...sorry about that .. I cant type and think at the same time. .20ml a day.

Comment

aha, BIG difference!

Valida is a favorite of flatworms, are you sure you don't have any?
            400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Orion76
              aha, BIG difference!

Valida is a favorite of flatworms, are you sure you don't have any?
              I would really be suprised. I havent added anything in 8+ months (space issues). I havent seen any bugs of any type.

Comment

They're basically invisible, but 8 months is a long time...

Comment

Originally posted by SCARYBO
                  Opps...sorry about that .. I cant type and think at the same time. .20ml a day.
                  Ok thats better hehehe.. I would hold dosing for a couple days and observe.. Have you had any temp swings you are aware of?

Comment

Joseph, low Ca or KH can result in basal tissue recession, as can bigger swings in water temp[rise in salinity?] that can occur during the summer; also excess of elements[have you changed saltmixes?] or too much bak or start1. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Aged Salt
                      As jeff said, that this point hold the zeo-dosages for another 2-3 days then resume the same bak/food doses. Reduce Start1 to .25ml 2x's/day. When I used Start1 on my 450g system, I dosed Start1 .1ml 2x's/day & that was good to hold N's/P's inline[Salifert's neg.] I've since switched to Start2[no TN] & use a Hanna to measure my P's. Bob

Bob,

I should increase start to .12ml twice a day or is that .25ml twice a day. Sorry for my confusion.

Comment

Joseph, low Ca or KH can result in basal tissue recession, as can bigger swings in water temp[rise in salinity?] that can occur during the summer; also excess of elements[have you changed saltmixes?] or too much bak or start1. Bob

Bob,

Ca and KH are on target. I havent monitored the temp/ salinity the past couple days. Let me check for swings. Good point.

Comment

, Joseph, the .25ml 2x's/day was based on the 20ml/day typo. I would check temp/salinity frequently, & reduce Bak/food to 1 drop each 2x's/wk & Start.1ml 2x's/day, as at 6mos. your "stored-nutrients" should be depleted. The zeolites affect now with a little help from bak/food/start is all that is needed to keep your waters in good status. Bob

Comment

, Joseph, the .25ml 2x's/day was based on the 20ml/day typo. I would check temp/salinity frequently, & reduce Bak/food to 1 drop each 2x's/wk & Start.1ml 2x's/day, as at 6mos. your "stored-nutrients" should be depleted. The zeolites affect now with a little help from bak/food/start is all that is needed to keep your waters in good status. Bob

I will check temp/salinity when I get home tonight (amazingly I still have to work for a living.. I wish I could get paid for caring for my tanK). So I will reduce Bak/Food to 1 drop each 2x/ wk. I'm still not clear on the start.
                            .1ml 2x a day / or .05 2x a day.

Thanks
                            Joseph

Comment

Hows your Mg. For some reason my system is Mg deficient and recently with the tank move it was 99o All my coral right now have stn. I hope mine come back. Good luck.
                              Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

Working...
                              X