Coraline algae and low nutrients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coraline algae and low nutrients

Currently had my PO4 at undetectable levels with the hanna PO4 colorimeter.

What I noticed is that all the coraline algae had turn brown initally and then now they are peeling off. Which means they are dying off.

Any one else at zeovit stage 3 experienced this?
    Does this mean that at very low nutrients level, coraline algae cannot survive?

Had not been dosing zeostart for the past 19days.

Originally posted by losmandy
    Currently had my PO4 at undetectable levels with the hanna PO4 colorimeter.

What I noticed is that all the coraline algae had turn brown initally and then now they are peeling off. Which means they are dying off.

Any one else at zeovit stage 3 experienced this?
    Does this mean that at very low nutrients level, coraline algae cannot survive?

Had not been dosing zeostart for the past 19days.
    My po4 level is 0.01 with the hanna though my sps are not colorful :crap:
    and I feel same thing (they are peeling off partially)

www.spsholic.com

Comment

, Wei, I've noticed my SPS "dull" when my Hanna reading was .01, but glisten at .03/.04, & that my coralline appears normal. In theory, if your Hanna consistently reads .00, I can understand the algae die-off. Overtime, I'd worry about your SPS's health with Hanna undetectable P04's. Bob
      "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Bob,

That is my worries too but so far the SPS seems well, am dosing 4 drop of AAHC daily but there's some haze on the glass which occurs two days ago and I've stopped the AAHC dosage temporary.

I wonder if reducing the lighting hrs would help when the SPS colors becomes dull.

Since dosing of the AAHC I had noticed an increased in the zoox density in some of the acros.

Perhaps I should swap the APF600 running on FOWLR over to the reef tank :P

Comment

Wei, good points, I did not change my photo-period when I decreased my zeo-dosing & observed the increase in coloration.[increase in Hanna] In your situation, I would not stop AAHC but reduce it to 2-3 drops/day & add an extra fish-feeding with frozen brine shrimp, uncleansed for coral nutrition 2-3 x's/wk. Bob
          "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Thanks bob, will try that.

So far I've increased feeding from 2-3x/day to 4-5x/day with NLS pellets.
            Maybe frozen brine shrimps or even golden pearl like Orion76 has suggested will do the job.

Comment

Working...
            X