Bio phos 3 & aluminum leaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bio phos 3 & aluminum leaching

I was interested in reducing the phosphate levels of my calcium reactor output & really liked the idea of the small phosphate reactor. I've read comments from a few reefers here that the Aluminum won't leach at the lower ph levels of the effluent.

I was concerned whether this was fact or not, so I posted a question concerning this in the Reef Frontiers Chemistry forum.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...8996#post86717

From what I'm getting so far Al based removers are dangerous regardless of ph level.

Can someone please fill me in on where you heard this or offer some links. Feel free to jump to the other thread & offer insight. I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks, Ed

With the amount of Biophos in the Ca reactor effluent, it shouldnt affect the entire tank to where its fatal. Another good practice is to change your media sooner rather than later before it starts to leach. The Biophos changes color in my reactor adn then I replace.

Comment

Edward,

What makes you assume it only leaches aluminum after it changes color? From everything I've gathered so far, the aluminum is released as the water flows through the media...........I'm speaking of Al based removers in general.

I understand your rationalization, but I think a small amount of phosphate is less harmful than a small amount of aluminum. :icon_roll

Apparently this low ph-no leach concept is a fairy tale?

Comment

Originally posted by Big E
        I understand your rationalization, but I think a small amount of phosphate is less harmful than a small amount of aluminum.
        I think the amount used on Ca reactors is so small that even if some Al is being released it is so small as to be insignificant. At least, nobody has reported problems as of yet.

Nobody can guarantee that it is harmless or prove that it is harmful, so decide for yourself.
        400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Understood Orion, but adding Aluminum to reduce phosphate is counterproductive. You're right........probably not a major issue, at least so far.

The main question I had was the low ph-no leach theory, which no one has offered up any info on. We know aluminum based phosphate removers release aluminum that is toxic........it's been proven in tests.

Comment

Working...
          X