Just want to say Hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just want to say Hi

New member from Canada. I am going to be setting up a new 190g SPS tank and have decided, after some reading and research to give zeovit a try. I am excited and nervous at the same time! I know that there is conflicting reports on this but I am seeing more good than bad. It will probably be another month or two before my new tank is set up and am really hoping I can do lots of lurking er reading and asking questions on this forum.

Ruth

glad to have you here. You will find a lot of great and helpful members here on ZEOvit.com. Enjoy and let us know if there is anything we can do to help... :blue:
    Fish eat poop....tastes just like chicken.

Comment

Welcome Ruth!! Ask away, we're here to help
      400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Ruth, welcome!

Im curious to know what negative reports you have seen/heard. There's a lot of rumors out there with novice reefers making assumptions. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Ruth, & welcome to ZEOvit.com. This method is wonderful for your corals & after 13mos. on ZEOvit, I couldn't be happier. When you ready, signal with a post, answering questions from the sticky "tell us about your tank" near the top of General Discussion for dosing recommendationsBob
          "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Welcome Ruth. feel free to ask anything, we are here to help
            Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

Hi Ruth, welcome to the forum, there are many experienced zeovit users here all ready to help you.

I believe many of the negatives about the zeovit systems mainly comes from those that have not used it before and just read or heard bad things about zeovit.

Or the some others who had used it but not able to judge the dosage properly hence ended up in failure.

I can say after 10months of zeovit, I've no regrets. I return home everyday to enjoy the corals, just couldn't believe my eyes seeing those corals in my tank since my PO4 are undetectable.

Comment

Ruth~~ Welcome to zeoville...~!!!!

I hope you to enjoy it...

www.spsholic.com

Comment

Well thank you all! As far as the negative that was asked about it has mostly come from reading on RC and I think the main criticism is that nobody knows what it is in zeovit and that there is no way to test for it. My thoughts on that is that there are lots of things I put into my aquarium that I don't know what they are - my finger is specifically pointed at me- because I don't understand a lot about chemistry etc. I know that you can test for some things like idodine and iodite but the tests available are supposed to be inaccurate and anyway I don't really care that much as long as my reef is healthy and I'm not killing things. I do regularly test for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites,ca, and alk. but that is about it.
                  One question on zoevite though is about water changes. I currently change roughly 15% every 2 weeks. I buy all my RO/DI water as I am on a well and don't trust the water which I know is quite high in TDS and iron. This does get a bit expensive but not compared to dead corals or an aweful algea infested tank.
                  I also travel quite a bit with my job and so am a bit concerned about mainenance as I am gone overnight expecially in the winter. Am I going to be setting myself up for failure?
                  Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Comment

Welcome Ruth Glad you made it over here, like I told you we are a great group of people over here so post away and ask as many questions as possible .

Regards,
                    Scott

Comment

Hi Ruth, it is recommended that you change 5% to 10% of system water per week. Why not buy your own RO/DI unit?

With regards to travel, it is no problem at all to be gone for a few days every now and then and skip some doses.
                      400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Greetings All !

Ruth ...

I also travel quite a bit with my job and so am a bit concerned about mainenance as I am gone overnight expecially in the winter. Am I going to be setting myself up for failure?
                        No worries ... The ZEOvit methodology does not require any "uber" husbandry or paranormal observational skills. I've found the system to be very resilient, and forgiving of my husbandry inconsistencies.

I do regularly test for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites,ca, and alk. but that is about it.
                        You are going to want to consider periodically testing for magnesium and phosphate as well ... as is standard with any SPS system.

... after some reading and research to give zeovit a try.
                        Reading and research positions a reefkeeper for success ... regardless of their methodology choices. Please don't hesitate to post questions and commentary as they emerge ... we're all learning, and your posted observations and insights are invaluble!

Welcome to ZeoVille!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
                        Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I do test for mag. and phos as well as iodine, just not as regularly as I probably should. I use Sailfert tests and find the mag. and iodine ones a little hard to use and get consistent readings with.
                          One other question - for now - that I have is about using live rock. I have seen a couple of posts that suggest not using it. Is this correct?

Comment

Greetings All !

One other question - for now - that I have is about using live rock. I have seen a couple of posts that suggest not using it. Is this correct?
                            LR is not neceassry with the ZEOvit system. I ran a ~67 gallon SPS frag system with less than 5 lbs. of LR for a little over 2 months ... with zero NH3/NH4, NO2, NO3 instability. I'm currently running a ~ 80 gallon SPS frag system with <30 lbs. LR.

Personally, I've decided to include some LR in my ZEOvit configuration, but at a much lower quantity than is "typically" recommended. I find the initial cost savings, and the opening up of asethetics vs. space (... "aquascaping" ...) possibilities for system design to be intriguing.

JMO ... HTH
                            "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
                            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I know that everyone's taste is different but I really like the look of coralline encrusted live rock and all the caves and ledges. I guess I did not phrase my question very well. Will the zeo be detrimental to LR or have no effect?

Comment

Working...
                              X