Diatoms in a Bare Bottom???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diatoms in a Bare Bottom???

If any of you have been following my thread (here) then you'll know that I recently switched to BB. The switch is part of my process to start up with Zeovit, which is riiiight around the corner. Here's my question:
    It looks like I'm having a Diatom outbreak. In the high flow areas (outputs of returns/powerheads/Tunze's) I have a brown film algae appearing. Are these diatoms? Has anyone else gone through this after switching BB? Is this is sign of problems? Please help, since I want a stable system so I can go Zeovit. Hopefully I can order my supplies this week. Thanks!
    Last edited by TJcop; 07-04-2005, 09:02 AM.
    T.J.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Here's a picture of the brown stuff. You can see how it's shaped to the flow of the powerhead on the eggcrate. Seems to be diatoms, but what's this telling me?
    T.J.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Comment

TJ, diatoms are signs of high silicates or areas with low light. Its an algae that is called a diatom which secretes a silica shell and once it does, the shell stays behind. You will noticed diatoms in a newly established tank or one that has changed its environment as the one you are going through now. Your tank will soon re-establish after a couple of weeks and it shouldnt affect when you want to start ZEOvit. Honeslty, starting ZEOvit would expedite this process since you are eliminating the components this algae needs to grow.
      Last edited by invincible569; 07-04-2005, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! I figured it had something to do with the "major change" of emptying the tank, removing the SB, etc...causing a small cycle. Just wanted to make sure that it wasn't something that I should be worrying about...probably just some junk that was in the LR that is finally being leeched out.

Any suggestions on a DIY reactor? I've heard that the PhosBan reactor works well.
        T.J.

Comment

TJ, the picture helps a lot and now its telling me that you dont have a case of diatoms. Like stated before, diatoms are hard and can easily be scraped off. What you have is red algae that can withstand higher flow and secures itself on where it grows which makes it even more difficult to remove when its not a flat surface. I have also had this problem when I was dosing in high amounts of Amino Acids. You could see the path of the powerhead and it was feeding the algae on the wall. if you leave it there long enough, the strands will get longer. Its better if you maintain it by wiping it down as much as you can. And as said before, the best method of controlling algae is by stopping the source that feeds it. Larger or more frequent water changes will also aid in the algae removal process as you are replacing the water with little to no nitrogen compounds.

Comment

T.J. did you do an unusually large water change when you removed the DSB? This could have resulted in a larger than normal infusion of silicates.

OR your DSB was pristine and the algae are there because of increased nutrients due to removal of this efficient filter, try putting it back in and see what happens :p :p
            400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Orion76
              OR your DSB was pristine and the algae are there because of increased nutrients due to removal of this efficient filter, try putting it back in and see what happens :p :p
              LOL.

TJ, you can use any kind of reactor. A Phosban one will work out just fine. But I would still shake it once in a while to release the film trapped on the rocks in order for them to continue doing their ionic exchange job.

Comment

a phosban reactor works but it can only hold 1 liter. if that works for you, then it will be fine.

Comment

Yeah, I'll get right on that!!! :p

T.J. did you do an unusually large water change when you removed the DSB? This could have resulted in a larger than normal infusion of silicates.
                  Yes, I added about 100 new gallons of water due to the additional sump/refugium capacity. I agree that it has something to do with the new water and removing the SB....like I mentioned before, similar to a mini-cycle. So far nothing in the tank appears to be affected, and I'm still doing my weekly water changes. Hopefully this will run its course then fade out like most of the algaes do.
                  T.J.

Comment

I dont think you should have any worries. It will settle down soon.

Comment

Cool...
                      No worries...be happy...(and broke)
                      T.J.

Comment

Working...
                      X