Raising PH Without Raising Alk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising PH Without Raising Alk

How do I raise my PH without raising my Alk?

I'll be starting ZEO next week, and with my Alk at 8dKH, my PH is down around 8.0. I've discontinued my kalkwasser feed, so my only additives besides ZEO will be B-Ionic 2 part.

Thanks. . . .

ny ph stays around 8.0 on zeo nothing everythings a ok in my tank
    Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

Thanks, Diesel.

Anyone else?

Comment

the best way to do so is to have the skimmer airintake line fetching fresh air from outside i did so and my PH is at 8.4 all the time
        Nick
        Nick
        180G SPS Mainly
        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
        Calcium Reactor
        3 Tunze 6105's
        Profilux Controller
        ATB Return w/ wavysea
        ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Thanks, Nick.

There's a window directly behind and above my tank (it's in the basement) that I keep open 1-2 inches so I don't think I have a CO2 issue. Just for grins, I ran a length of polyethylene tubing from the window into the air intake tube of my ER CS8-1. I'll see it if has an effect.

Still open for other suggestions. . .

Comment

LMK what happens worked g8 for me
            Nick
            Nick
            180G SPS Mainly
            10 Bulb T5 Starfire
            Calcium Reactor
            3 Tunze 6105's
            Profilux Controller
            ATB Return w/ wavysea
            ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

My Skimmer intake is outside too---
              Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Comment

Suggestion: in the South here, the city or county often sends a "mosquito truck" around that fogs the neighborhood with insecticide. If you are in area that's doing these sprays, it would be wise to use a carbon filter on the air intakes.
                Skip Attix
                Editor - Reefkeeping Magazine

Comment

Thanks Skipper, but I am one step ahead of you. That was the first thing that came to my mind. Mine is built out of one in pvc w/a bag of carbon in it.
                  Sean

Comment

From what I understand there is nothing you can add to the water that will raise the pH without taking the alk with it. Your limewater raised the pH but it was, as you know, raising the alk at the same time.
                    SteveU
                    “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
                    ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Originally posted by Catastrofe
                      Thanks, Nick.

There's a window directly behind and above my tank (it's in the basement) that I keep open 1-2 inches so I don't think I have a CO2 issue.
                      I wouldn't be so sure. It takes a lot more than that to vent CO2. I bet feeding your skimmer with outside air will make a difference. I didn't have a window nearby to do that for my tank. But as luck would have it (NOT!) we had to replace our air conditioner last summer ($11k - think of the tank I could have built with that ) and we had a fresh-air intake added to the new system.

Comment

Originally posted by GTR
                        From what I understand there is nothing you can add to the water that will raise the pH without taking the alk with it. Your limewater raised the pH but it was, as you know, raising the alk at the same time.
                        SteveU
                        I agree, nothing can be added to increase w/o adj alk
                        Sean

Comment

Working...
                        X