Thinkin about DSB in my new cube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinkin about DSB in my new cube

Hey guys, I just want some opinions on this. And I dont want those just do BB your corals will thank you. I currently am bb but I hate the look. The new tank will probably be set up for a few years so Im not worried about a DSB crash. Also with zeo im hoping to be able to keep the nutrients where they need to be.
    Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Greetings All !
    Other than the asethetics, do you intend for there to be any other purpose/function for the DSB within your system design?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Brian, do you want the DSB just for looks or to handle your bio filtration? If your motive is esthetics, why not go with a shallow sand bed?
      Gary, you beat me by a minute...
      Last edited by Ger; 06-16-2005, 09:36 PM.
      Fish eat poop....tastes just like chicken.

Comment

SSB is the way to go.. cleaning it often is also the best way.

Comment

Brian???

Its only asethetics. It will also house some Acans, Micromussa, and blastos so I would like sand in the tank. I was also thinking ssb as well, and I do not need it for any other filtration on that tank. Zeo and the liverock and skimmer will do all filtering. My only question is wil the amount of flow my tank will have in the 24" cube will be 50-60x turnover. Sandstorms are my concern
          Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Comment

Sorry Sean, my bad. I saw "Thanks Brian" and the beer drinking...that's all it took to turn my brain off...
            I am not sure with that amount of turnover and sandstorms (you will most likely have it in the beginning). Bacterial coating of the sand grains may keep things in check after the inital stages.
            Fish eat poop....tastes just like chicken.

Comment

lol. I will also upgrade flow in the future as well prob. to about 70x. SSb about 1.5 to 2" max I was thinking. What grain size would be best? The finer the better. From being on Zeo I realize that my nutrients should still be in check.

Edward, as for keeping in clean what do you do ?
              Sean

Comment

I read at wetwebmedia.com somewhere...can remember where...that:

ssb has to be 1/2" or under or it will be a nutrient sink AND a DSB has to be at least 5-6" deep of super fine sand or it will be a nutrient sink....

Thats what I read somewhere and it makes sence IMO...
                Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

Thanks Adam make sense. I will prob do something like 1/2-1in. easy to clean. If it wasnt for the lps and natural look id go bb
                  Sean

Comment

NVM!

Comment

ok guys ssb it is. I will deal with the flow if if results in a problem. Im thincking of using pieces of pvc to suspend the rock slighty to avoid a large amount of detritus to settle underneath them. Any tips on howe to keep the ssb clean?
                      Sean

Comment

Best advice is to go to oregonreef.com and see how Steve Weast maintains his SSB.

Let me say this Sean i have a SSB and they are ALOT of work!

for my upgrade i am going BB with starboard.

PLUS if you have alot of flow this sand blows around, and my sand for my SSB is pretty big particles.

anyway first check out all the work envolved by reading what Steve does, then decide if you can dedicate that amount of time to it.

Nick
                        275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Thanks Nick I will take a look and see if I do want to have to deal with it. Wrst case scenario is I will paint the underside of my new tank white. Its acrylic so no starboard
                          Sean

Comment

why cant you do starboard in acylic?

i am having James from Envision acrylics buil dmy new 275 gallon tank and am using starboard in the bottom.

also i know about 3-4 people who have had tanks built by James and they are using starboard in the bottom with no problems.

i do not see why you cant use it.

it will not hurt anything.

also with BB you cant scrath the tank cleaning it. with SSB there will be sand that you have to watch out for when cleaning the glass, just a thought,

but with acrylic i am 100% sure you can use starboard, i am getting an offwhite color called seafoam through James, he is also cutting it to fit my tank.

Nick
                            275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

I didnt mean tocome off like that. of cours you can use starbourd on acrylic I just dont know how i could get it into my tank, with the bracing running around the outer perimeter.
                              Sean

Comment

Working...
                              X