Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting up a new tank, can you guys give me a hand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a new tank, can you guys give me a hand.

In the process of starting a new tank, could use some help.

I have some key concerns. I want this to be as "automated" and "maintenance free" as possible. Of course I am not trying to avoid the regular scraping, water changes etc, I just don't always want to be baby sitting it.

Here is the equipment planned:

50x40x24 (maybe 28) tank, I am having a centered rear trapezoid shaped over flow like this \_____/, I will have four holes drilled in the bottom of the over flow, I am thinking 2-2" over flow and two 1.5" return. I also want 5 holes int he rear panel, one for intake 4 for return (closed loop). And 4 in the eurobracing in each corner. These will be run on closed loop and use two super sea squirt 4 ways.

Schuran Jet 1 calcium reactor

IKS computer system with external display

Bubble King External 500 skimmer

Bubble King red dragon return pumps for sump/fuge return and ocean motions.

The lights I am kicking around the idea of two lumanarcs, but to try to keep a clean install I may opt for something else. They aren't the slickest thing I have layed eyes on. I also wanted them to be 400's, but I hear 400 moguls aren't that great, but have done no research yet.

Probably IKS t8's for actinic (if they are out by that time)

Red Sea 200mg/h ozonizer

Deltec fluidized bed reactor for phos

Not sure which chiller yet, any recomendatiosn?

Now, a main concern is plumbing an easy way to change water. I was thinking about having a hardline plumbed in heading straight to a drain, but there is really no easy way to measure water. Is there some kind of metering device I can run inline on the plumbing to tell me how many gallons I have drained? I am aware I can mark the tank and calculate, but I want EASY =).

I want a top off res that is auto topped off via ro/di with some kind of float, and an easy way to divert flow of ro/di to refill the sw container after I do a water change. Any ideas here?

I would also like a small qt tank I can drain some tank water too and qt something for a week or so in it. So this would be plumed in line, and have a bullhead at the bottom to drain to a drain.

Any input from you guys who have already been through the motions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks ahead! Sorry for the long post!
    Last edited by mane3215; 06-10-2005, 11:45 AM.

High Res

Comment

For water change flow metering you might look at http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...11478/cid/2961

For this I think you would want "a flow meter with totalizer".

SteveU
      “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
      ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Hey i just ordered my new tank its 60x44x24 you may want to take a look at the thread,

its here on zeovit and is under sump/tank design or something.

Nick
        275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Nick - Should be a very nice tank.

Just a few comments.

The BK500 is way overkill for that tank. What do the RD pumps flow? The tank volume looks to be around 275 gallons. How much are you planning on flowign through the sump? I, personally prefer to flow at the bottom end of rate through the sump and get most of my flow from either closed loops and/or in-tank sources. Also, make sure you take into account the amount of suction that will be created on your CL intake. It would be good to plan to split that intake so that the flow going into the intake at any one point is not too strong. As far as water changes, I have a refugium that sits in-line from my overflows to my sumps, It is a 150 gallon reef ready tank so all I do is turn the valve to divert the flow straight to my sump and then drain the refugium to a marked level. I actually have a circ pump (CL) on my refugium with a manifold so all I fo is turn a vavlve and the pump sends water to a drain instead of back to the refugium. I have a pump in my salt water make-up tank that I turn on, turn one valve and it sends water back to the refugium. Once the water level gets back up to the overflow, I know I have put back in the exact amount of water that I took out and I turn another valve and the pump from the make-up container just recirculates the water within that container. I have another pump in my RO water holding container thatis plumbed to just feed the salt water make-up container. I plug it in to pump water from the fresh to the salt container when I need to. A water 50 gallon water change takes me ten minutes, tops.

I would also check into Sequence Pumps and OceansMotions devices before getting anything else. The Sequence pumps are great and much easier to get service on here in the US if needed. They are also very affordable. As far as actual flow through the sump, I would plan on something around 2500 gph if it were me and then run one or two Sequence pumps for my closed loops, depending on the size and what you are after.

As you have posted this in the Zeovit Board, check the use of an ozonizer if you are planning on a Zeo tank.

Just a thought, but I would probably consider two CL intakes, 2" each feeding two 1.5" Cl returns on the back panel. I would probably keep those as static returns, not alternating flow, using one of the 2" intakes. The other 2" intake would go to a separate pump with an OM 4way feeding the corner returns.

Designing the tank is one of the best things about this hobby. Have fun with it.

Comment

GTR, thanks thats exactly what I was looking for.

ndb13, your tank is going to be sweet, I cant wait to see the pics man.

Vegas Mike:
            Thank you for the info. I am aware the bk500 is way over kill, but I like overkill sometimes hehe. I may just get a bk300 I would like to talk to Gary about it, but haven't heard from him yet.

I haven't checked into the RD's yet, just know they are a nice pump, but again everything at this point is still up in the air. Like you I want minimum flow through the sump/fuge, and get the big flow through the closed loop system. I plan on putting a matching intake on the other side, same location. For some reason I forgot to add it to the tank diagram.

I really love how you do your water changes, unfortunately I cannot do that as I will have only the space under my tank to store all my equipment including fuge/sump/fw top off etc. Kind of stinks, but I only have a 20x20 living room, and no adjoining rooms where the tank will be =(. I can still go your route, but I think it will be a bit tricky.

I am planning on using OceansMotions mini squirts 4 ways. One for the 4 holes in the eurobracing, and one for the closed loop in the back of the tank.

I do plan on using an ozonizer, probably the red sea 200mg/hr. I do plan on zeo =).

Why would you do one closed loop to two constant returns just out of curiosity?

All in all I want a killer tank, very clean setup, and very easy maintenance! hehe. Who doesn't right? I am not afraid of maintenance, but I like to go on vacation for a month without sweating over my tank.

Comment

Mane, you cannot use Ozone with zeo, as far as I know its not reccomended
              Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

Oooooh shucks! Well which is better? I think I would lean toward using ozone myself?

Comment

oh yeah if you do decide to use zeo, you do not need a fuge, your macro algae will not grow with zeo, so its a waste of space.

just a thought

and i will post pics when things get rolling at the end of august.

Nick
                  275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Originally posted by mane3215
                    Oooooh shucks! Well which is better? I think I would lean toward using ozone myself?
                    Obviously we think Zeovit is better, otherwise this forum would be at Ozone.com ;-)

And just my 2 cents, getting a BK500 on that size tank is just a waste of money and space. A BK200 would probably be sufficient and a BK300 almost overkill already. RE is not lying about their skimmer ratings.
                    Last edited by Orion76; 06-11-2005, 01:19 AM.
                    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Hahaha, what would be the advantage of ozone of zeovit? How would one affect lps over the other?

Comment

Originally posted by mane3215
                        Hahaha, what would be the advantage of ozone of zeovit?
                        Before I write a book answering that I would recommend you read up on the Zeovit method if you are interested in using it
                        400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Yeah your right, I am getting side tracked =).

BTW, man you have a KILLER tank! Any pics of the pvc frame work you made to hold your rock up like that?

Comment

Thanks bro, I was gonna take pics of the frame but I had such a b*** of a time putting it all together and still had so much work ahead of me that I couldn't be bothered

Comment

mane, good to hear you are in the same process as some of us. It is definitely a great feeling getting designing your own tank. Just like nbd13, you can also find my thread under sump/design here and possibly get some ideas.

I also feel that the BK500 is overkill. Naga's was a monster and I know you are limited for space. A 300 should be more than enough. Are you going to wait for the new BK conical design or the existing one?

Maybe I missed it, but how do you plan to have your aquascape? I feel this is VERY important to the outcome of your tank.

On the windows, which sides will be viewable? I would recommend you use black acrylic for the sides that are non viewable. Makes a world of difference to showing off those beautiful LPS colors.

As for the Chiller.. I have been extremely happy with my Aqua Medic Titan 1/2 HP. They are a great price with built in controller and heater. The only downfall is that it measure in Celsius, but you get used to it. I have another friend who has the 1HP and he has not had any problems either. They are also the best looking in my opinion. Craftsmanship is also well built.

Comment

Working...
                              X