Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOWLR - UPDATE - FEED BACK

Hi All,

Well i'm about 10 days into FOWLR after selling 99% of my SPS. I kept my 125G dosing the same (0.4ML of start 2 twice a day), 4 drops of bac and food twice a week.

However testing my PO4 with my hanna, the levels have jumped from a staedy 0.02PPM to 0.25 PPM. Amasing wahta few angels can do.

Anyway i wish to lower my PO4 levels to the 0.05 region. What do you think i should bump my dosing upto?

Cheers
    Che

Hi, FOWLR set-ups without SPS, enable one to operate nutrients at higher levels, depending again on bioload, lighting used & feeding techniques. Using intense SPS-type lighting will feed algae in nutrient-rich waters. One can always overshoot zeo somewhat especially in your new system by using less intense lightening[flourescents]. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Originally posted by Aged Salt
      Hi, FOWLR set-ups without SPS, enable one to operate nutrients at higher levels, depending again on bioload, lighting used & feeding techniques. Using intense SPS-type lighting will feed algae in nutrient-rich waters. One can always overshoot zeo somewhat especially in your new system by using less intense lightening[flourescents]. Bob
      So in other words i can use more zeo rock, more bac, more food, start etc. If so what do you recomend I use on a 125G system?

Cheers
      Che

Comment

Greetings Che !

Your FOWLR-ZEOvit system sounds very cool ... you're about 6-9 months ahead of my own planned experimentation in this area, so any further updates will be wildly appreciated ...

... ...

Madison has commented on this before, and I too am amazed that more people haven't begun to explore the application of the ZEOvit system in fish only systems, with or without live rock ...

... the siren call for max fluorescent SPS color is mesmerizing, yes? ...

It seems to me that you have three main variable pathways to pursue. First, alteration of dosing variables. Second, alteration of ZEOvit media quantity/volume, flowrate and reactor position variables. Third, alteration of husbandry variables.

Alteration of Dosing Variables
        Given that the specific goal is to reduce phosphate levels, I would think that a 25% increase of start2, zeobak, and zeofood7 might be a good place to start. I would think that a 2 week timeframe would allow you to evaluate the results of the increase, before determining whether or not to continue to up the dosage. I wouldn't think that you would want to change the frequency of the dosing ... just the relative amounts.

Alteration on ZEOvit Media Quantity/Volume, Flowrate, and Reactor Position
        You might wish to consider increasing the zeovit media quantity/volume. It seems to me that the increase in bacteria biomass might perform the function of phosphate level reduction better in the presence of a corresponding increase in available surface area within the zeoreactor. It's unclear to me whether an increase, or decrease in flowrate might be called for ... I could make an argumnet for either choice. Given that there's no longer a need for the mulm to feed any SPS, it seems to me that placement of the zeoreactor in front of the protein skimmer might be a reasonable choice, especially if you're dosing the zeobak and zeofood7 directly into the main display.

Oligotrophic
        Clear waters with little organic matter or sediment and minimum biological activity.
        Mesotrophic
        Waters with more nutrients, and therefore, more biological productivity.
        Eutrophic
        Waters extremely rich in nutrients, with high biological productivity.
        Alteration of Husbandry
        The shift from a oligotrophic microcosm, towards a eutrophic microcosm should be fascinating to watch ... as long as the algal populations and water chemistry parameters behave themselves. As you increase the "producer" base of the food pyramid within your system (increased zeobak species biomass), you might consider a focused and periodic introduction of "consumers" ... copepods, amphipods, polychaete worms, mysids ... macroalgae ... and, if your fish population will allow it, white sand stars, both detritous and filter-feeding cucumbers, filter-feeding annelids, and the full menagerie of crustaceans ... as a strategy to process and modulate the nutrients in your system.

I doubt that a DSB configuration would be helpful towards a reduction of free phosphate. If you're not doing this already, weekly "blowing off" the surface of the LR with a turkey baster, or a small submersible pump would be useful in terms of both increasing filtration performance, and for encouraging coralline algae growth. If you're using a SSB configuration, you might seriously consider stirring the substrate on a weekly basis as well.

As Bob has already alluded to, photoperiod alteration might be useful (... I presume you've already made some decisions regarding the halides, given their energy consumption/operating costs ...), as well as careful decision-making regarding phosphate introduction through your feeding routine.

JMO ... HTH
        mesocosm
        ZeoHeretic
        Last edited by mesocosm; 05-31-2005, 10:29 PM.
        "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
        Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

yeah should be able to not corals to kill by over dosing just keep a eye out for alage from excess dosing
          Nick
          Nick
          180G SPS Mainly
          10 Bulb T5 Starfire
          Calcium Reactor
          3 Tunze 6105's
          Profilux Controller
          ATB Return w/ wavysea
          ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Many thanks for all your feed back.

I will bump up all my levels by 25% and will review the results in a couple of weeks.

I have taken my 400W globes off and i'm only running 2 x 150W 20K Ushio globes (6 hours a day). Since the change my pink Coralline algae has exploded in growth (Which is a bonus as i like it). I have not cleaned the glass in 2 weeks, water clarity is great and my chiller has not switched on once (so i'm saving a lot of time on maintenace and energy cost).

We are shifting house in the next couple of months, once the move is complete, i plan on turning the tank into a FOWLR with xenia tank.

Will keep you posted on the results.

Thanks again.

Che

Comment

Hi All,

Well i bumped up my dosing by 25% with no luck. I just started to get green algae growth on the back pain (very limited, but i was getting signs of excess dosing).

I changed out my zeorock and added 2 litres of fresh zeo rock instead of the 1 litre. Water flow through the reactor is 2000 L/HR (500G/HR).

I'm cycling the reactor on /off for 3 hours at a time. My P04 has dropped slightly to 0.20PPM but my nitrates are sitting at approx 50 PPM. I wil do a 10% water change tonight also and i'm cutting back the food to my fish in order to get my PO4 and NO3 down to acceptable levels.

Will keep you posted on how the levels go in a few weeks.

Cheers
              Che

Comment

Try lowering your flow through the reactor to 800 litres an hour.

Regards
                Brendan Zeovit New Zealand Australia

Comment

Working...
                X