Need advice on new cube.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on new cube.

I'm having Kevin at AquaticImageSystem.com build me a custom true 24'' cube, but I would like some advice on drilling.

Here is one idea I have for drilling. 4 bulkheads coming through the bottom, 2 on the back coming from the sump. How big should I make the returns and the bulkheads in the overflow?

Or should, I do 2 return from the sump, 2 CL returns on the back, and 2 CL returns on the front bottom?

Any input is appreciated!
    Last edited by SeanCallan; 01-29-2005, 02:18 PM.

you spent way too much time on those pics..... :p

I dont know...just go with some holes drilled in the back...
    Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

Nah, I know my way around photoshop.

Yoh I presume?

Comment

i think its yoh not sure though

Nick
        275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

It is. With the Aquabat icon and the acropora sig.

Comment

yeah,

anyway to answer your question i woudl go with #1 that way you wont have any dead spots IMO i would also drill one more hole in the overflow and run 2 holes for the CL and 1 for the return that way you will have AWEsome flow!

Nick
            275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

I think I'm going to use 2 holes in the back for intakes for the CL so I don't get any air in there.

What pump would I need to use to achieve 4 or 6 returns?

Comment

Yes, it is me sean...and please lets try to be nice here. :-)
                Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

It really depends on how much flow you are planning to have. I would just have one return from the sump and use a big pump(s) for the closed loop. The smaller you make the return the quieter it will be. meaning, you will have less water going through the overflow which is less noise. The CL's will be silent so that is where I would try and get most of the flow from

Comment

I would not put the drain to the CL in the overflow. It should be in the tank proper so that it doesn't tax the overflow capacity.

Comment

I guess you didn't get the hint on RC did you Yoh?

Comment

New Option.

Heres a new design I've come up with.

I was advised to keep the CL intakes out of the overflow to avoid air being takin in. As well has adding an additional bulkhead to the sump in case of a clog. A few people have told me to keep the sump returns to 1 rather then splitting it.

So thats 1 sump return and 6 CL returns.

With directional pieces, I think the 4 bottoms cover alot of ground.

What if I were to use 2 CL pumps, and have 1 pump controlling just the 4 bottom returns, and the second pump controlling the 2 back returns as well as to returns in the upper front hidden by the hood? 1 1/2'' intakes, 3/4'' returns?

Comment

Working...
                        X