Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ORP with zeovit

Does zeovit affect ORP level?

I am wondering as ORP level is quite important and many use ozone to have high ORP level and be able to control it.

So does zeovit affect ORP level in our aquarium and if so, what is the level?

How do we control or increase that level?

I think most zeoheads dont even have an ORP monitor, and it's not really something you need to worry about unless you are using ozone, which you won't if you're using Zeo
    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

So what are the relationship? Is it important to have higher ORP level?

Comment

ORP will be within acceptable levels if your tank is healthy, if you use too much ozone it will go too high so people use an ORP controller to prevent that. If something is dying and rotting in your tank and your water goes foul it will drop too low. ORP is really not something you need to be worried about or attempt to adjust because it will be within an acceptable range if your tank is healthy.
        400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Neither measured this level in my tank nor I know anybody who did it in a zeo tank.

G.Alexander

Comment

Well if somebody has measured it in thier zeo tank. What should be their level?

Comment

I remember reading on another thread on RC some time ago, IIRC that the individuals tank normally ran around 390-400. Immediately after dosing start, it would fall quite dramatically, 100 or more and would recover in a few hours.
              265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

Originally posted by CAReefer
                I remember reading on another thread on RC some time ago, IIRC that the individuals tank normally ran around 390-400. Immediately after dosing start, it would fall quite dramatically, 100 or more and would recover in a few hours.
                if i remember right, it was ricka, that posted about that,

Comment

Greetings All !

So does zeovit affect ORP level in our aquarium ...
                  Interesting question ... I wouldn't be surprised at all to discover that ZEOvit methodology produces meaningful shifts in Redox potentials, but I've never seen any data on it.

Is it important to have higher ORP level?
                  Oxidation-reduction potential is merely a measure of the sum of redox reactions occuring in the system's water. The higher the redox value, the greater the potential for oxidation to occur. The lower the redox value, the greater the potential for reduction to occur. Classically, aquarists have used redox numbers as a relative measure of water "purity" ... 1970s and early 1980s literature abounds with perspectives on the importance/application of ozonizers and the "significance" of ORP levels ... but from my perspective, this measure as a "standard" for water quality is very "old school", not that it's uninteresting. Indeed, in the circumstance where something is fundamentally wrong with the behavior of the overall biological filtration of a system, electro-negativity numbers could provide useful information, but generally speaking, the industry/hobby has focused on more specific indicators of water quality.

... and if so, what is the level?
                  Measurements of redox potential in the ocean vary from 350-450 mV (Moe, 1989) to as low as 160-190 mV (Wilkens and Birkholtz, 1986).

JMO ... HTH
                  "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
                  Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Thanks,

However, i would just like to know if we are using zeovit, what do you think the ORP level would be?

As ORP is relatively used for a measurement of water purity and also since it is widely used in conjuction with ozone. Many have aimed for higher level.

As in zeovit, we try to have clean and pristine clear water, hence ORP level should be high? More like 350 to 400mV?

Stanley

Comment

Stanley, 350 to 400mV would be considered excellent water quality (with or without Zeo) HTH
                      Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

You can also raise ORP by pooring chlorine into your tank, it's not an absolute indication of a healthy environment

Comment

Originally posted by reefplayer
                          As ORP is relatively used for a measurement of water purity and also since it is widely used in conjuction with ozone. Many have aimed for higher level.
                          Please read mesocosms last post again, he addressed this exact point quite clearly and I think you may have missed it

Here is more indepth information on ORP if you're interested:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-1...ture/index.htm

Comment

Working...
                          X