need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help

I've been on zeo for about seven weeks. 8 drops, 8 drops, .75ml per day(bak,food, start). I cut start in half due to brown/green spots on the glass. 2.5 liters zeo @250 gph. System is 250 gallons.kh 7, ca415, mg 1375, no3 1 po4 .03. I'm having a major rtn prob. I only have had one coral rtn on me b4 zeo. When I started I had stn probs on some frags I had a cynao prob b4 zeo and it is going away slowly. Everything was going along good except for the stn and the cyano( stn cccured on a frag and a colony which I had already so I wasn't concerned). I ordered some corals and they threw in 2 free frags one rtned the first day. I broke of far into healthy tissue but it wasted away the next night then the next morning I noticed a brown out I had for a long time was rtning now I 'm going to bed tonight and I noticed one of the nice colonies I ordered is starting to rtn also . There are also an array of crabs some are hairy and have blue eyes how do I get rid of them? The tissue looked real thin all day so I pretty much knew something was wrong w/ it. And my hammer coral is even starting to peel away from it's skelton and I've had that for about 2 years. What is going on? My levels are fine. My other corals were really starting to color up even the one w/ stn went from dark brown to metallic green. Maybe I changed to fast but I followed the guide and Bob's dosing recommendations. Is the rtn zeo realted or related to the frag I had rtn. I think it's related to the frag anyway how can I stop the rtn from spreading like it is. Should I stop zeo or alter my dosing? Shame to stop now since I was liking the new colors. Any advice is welcomed Thanks Bob

Which start are you using? Start1 or Start 2? I had those problems using the start1. So I quit dosing it until I got the start2.
    Maybe Bob can help you here. He'll answer you soon. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Comment

I 'm using start2 forgot to write that.

Comment

That is strange. I have been using the start2 since April 12. And have not had any problems with RTN or STN. Maybe the new corals were stressed from shipping? I have also added many new frags and a couple new colonies since then. Also, no problems there. I don't have an answer for the brown out or your hammer. The crabs I would tease out with tooth picks. Hope Bob will answer you soon, He'll know if it's Zeo or shipping related.

Comment

The corals arrived great polyps were stretched out far when it was still in the bag. I was very pleased. The frag that rtned fell on another coral so it was stressed out so I wasn't surprised that it rtned, but now it seems it's spreading. The second frag I got hasn't rtned yet. I don't know what I can do.

Comment

First of all I would recommend to cut down the dosage of Bac, Food and Start:

ZeoBac: 4 drops twice a week (if the zeolite is changed 4 drops for a two week period every other day)
            ZeoFood: 2 drops twice a week (if the zeolite is changed 2 drops for a two week period every other day)
            ZeoStart: 4 drops in the morning and 4 drops in the evening daily

I also would recommend to dose AAHC (AminoAcids) on a daily basis with 5 drops.

Please also reduce the zeolite to 2 liters changing it every 6 - 8 weeks. Please also make sure the water flow through the zeolite is around 150 – 160 gal per hour.

0,5 liters carbon changed every 30 days in a passive water flow with a filter sock in the sump. Later you can use 1 liter.

Used nothing else, just the “basic” components.

Make sure to keep your water parameters as stabile as possible. Do not use PO4 absorbers beside the system.

Which really makes me thoughtfully is your relative high Mg level. Is this caused by the addition of Mg or by using salt with elevated Mg levels ? This makes me think you maybe have a to high salinity. Please check and if necessary adjust it slow. Which salt are you using ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Please also tell if the tissue lost is spread down from the tips or up from the base (older corals).

Thanks, G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks for the new dosing advice. I use no po4 absorber. I used aahc and aalps in the beginning then I stopped to try to reduce the cyano. Should I only use the aahc? These are the only non basic components I have used and I haven't used them for about three weeks. I just changed my calcium reactor media and used mg granulate, when I got the new corals I had to turn up the reactor to keep kh up this increased mg from 1350 to1375 over the past week, I thought the granulate wouldn't increase mg just maintain it . I was going to remove some of the mg media. sallinity is about 1.0245. I use reef crystals mg is kind of low last batch was 1320 can't wait till I can get that new reeefers salt though. Tissue loss on the frag started from the bottom, the brown out started from the bottom, The new colony started from the tips but shortly after started from the bottom also. I cut off the tips should I have done that.[QUOTE] ZeoFood: 2 drops twice a week (if the zeolite is changed 2 drops for a two week period every other day) did you mean 4 drops food after zeolite change or is 2 correct. Thanks

Comment

I just dosed today and last dose before that was Tuesday. Is this new dosing regimine an attempt to slow down nutrient removal since I was doing it to fast. My tank had fairly high nutrients before. I also have quite a few fish. I rinsed my cx media in ro di for a coulpe of days first time I did that, been soaking fish food in ro di recently, removed a sand bed and two refugiums in the begining also. Thanks

Comment

ZeoStart2 is nourishing bacteria so I would cut down ZeoFood to 2 drops. If ZeoStart2 & AAHC is used the ZeoFood dosage can be lowered.

I keep my Mg level around 1250 – 1290 mg while NSW has a level around 1290 mg. I do not see any cause to keep the level higher. Not the absolute levels in Ca, Mg and KH are basic, rather the balance of the levels compared to natural seawater.

I think the salt is not a problem, but anyhow I would recommend to check the salinity with a different measurement instrument.

I also would recommend to keep KH around 6,5 – 7 and the Ca level stabile.

G.Alexander

Comment

Should I spread the aahc dosing throught the day or should I add it all at once? Should I not use aalps I do have lps corals. If so what's the new dosing required. Is it a good idea to remove some of the mg granulate until the level drops to a acceptable level. Kepping my ca rx operating at the same level to keep my kh & ca up. Thanks

Comment

I would recommend to dose 5 drops AAHC at once in the dark period (morning) directly in the tank. Leave the AALPS out until your tank is stabile without a problem.

I also would recommend to remove most of the Mg granulate, filling the reactor with PO4 low or free coral gravel. If you notice your Mg is around 1250 I would recommend to stock some Mg granulate in the reactor again.

You should adjust the reactor to keep the KH between 6,5 and 7. The reactor should only control the KH. If you use a “balanced” salt your Ca level should be around 400 – 420 mg. Please measure the parameters once a week to notice changes which have to be adjusted.

Now stability is the key and the tissue lost should stop within a week if the corals are not damaged to much.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks G. Alex your a great help. I am using koralith in the reactor along w/ zeomag granulate. I use arm in my second reactor chamber. I soaked all of the media for about 5 days in rodi changing the water often I put the ro tube at the bottom of a bucket filled the bucket w/ my media and ran my ro letting it overflow into the bathtub. I never rinsed it or soaked it before. Thanks Bob

Comment

Bob, sounds good. Please post if you need any help.

Good luck and I also would recommend to change bulbs later if everything is back to normal.

G.Alexander

Comment

I also noticed that when I run my 2 175w mh 20k and 400w 20k only the corals look better. They have better polyp ext. not so dark, and tissue doesn't look so thin. But when I turn on my 2 10k 400w they seem to be shocked and p&e goes down tissue looks thinner etc. Am I photoshocking these corals? Should I only run the 20ks until the prob claers up, The only prob w/ this is that my ph stays to low during the day and might fall to low at night. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X