little starfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• little starfish

Has anyone experienced small starfish in their tanks?. So these lil guys are starting to be a pain in my tank what eats them?

What's the problem with them?
    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

if you just dont like them.. harliquin shrimp are starfish eating machines... are they serpants??? what problems are they causing??

Comment

Originally posted by Orion76
        What's the problem with them?
        The problem I had once with them.. is that one got stuck under my magnet and I have an acrylic tank.. .. .and when I used it, it smeared all over the window and I had to get my acrylic scratch remover because it looked bad! Anyhow, you cant see the mess the starfish made anymore

Comment

scratches suck

About 8 years ago I caught a piece of sand with my magnet cleaner and pulled it right across the glass front pane Haven't used a magnet cleaner since!
          400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

I have had a few of them snack on a few of my acros they are just slowly multiplying.

Comment

get them out then
              Nick
              Nick
              180G SPS Mainly
              10 Bulb T5 Starfire
              Calcium Reactor
              3 Tunze 6105's
              Profilux Controller
              ATB Return w/ wavysea
              ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

bei mir fressen die ab und zu an seriatopora und stylophora rum, wollte es mal mit einer harlekingarnele probieren

www.hexersblog.blogspot.com

Comment

huh lol
                  Nick
                  Nick
                  180G SPS Mainly
                  10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                  Calcium Reactor
                  3 Tunze 6105's
                  Profilux Controller
                  ATB Return w/ wavysea
                  ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Hexer: bei mir fressen die ab und zu an seriatopora und stylophora rum, wollte es mal mit einer harlekingarnele probieren
                    In my tank they sometimes eat Seriatopora and Stylophora tissue. I like to give the harlequin shrimp a try.

G.Alexander

Comment

www.hexersblog.blogspot.com

Comment

ok makes sense now lol thanx hexer
                        Nick
                        Nick
                        180G SPS Mainly
                        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                        Calcium Reactor
                        3 Tunze 6105's
                        Profilux Controller
                        ATB Return w/ wavysea
                        ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

There are two main types of "small" starfish. The ones that look like little brittle stars (in fact, some confuse them with "baby" brittle stars") are harmless and are good at processing crap in the tank. The others look like tiny classic star fish, usually white. The latter has a LOT of subspecies, only one or two of which are harmful; the rest are just another part of the scavenger crew. The odds are high that if you see them "eating" an SPS, it's a dead SPS (at least at the point they're attached to it). They're scavengers, not predators (except for one or two rare subspecies). I'd leave them alone unless you have hard evidence of their killing an SPS.

JMHO...I spent a lot of years trying to get rid of bristleworms back when they were considered "bad".

Arthur

Comment

Yeah your right they attach themselves to dead parts of the coral thanks for the advice, Bad lfs owner comment got me worried.

Comment

No worries...similar to the "Great Bristle Worm Scare Of 2002 (tm)".

Arthur

Comment

Working...
                              X