I couldnt leave well enough alone!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I couldnt leave well enough alone!!!

I need some advice from the zeo experts. I have been using zeo for about 5 months now. Everything has been going great. The bubble algae problem I had is completely gone. I only need to clean my glass once a week (If I remember) vs daily in the past. My sps were getting great color. So why didnt I leave everything alone?

I decided to remove my shallow sand bed last weekend. Pulling it out went fine. I didnt lose any corals. However, parts of my sand bed and the bottoms of some of my LR were black. The smell was awful. Since the change I have noticed my colors have darkened alot. I believe it is due to nutrients released into the water from the putrid LR. I should have disgarded the pieces with the black areas, but I didnt. Everything is doing okay. I just dont have my previous colors.

My tank water volume is 50 gal (40 gal with 10 gal sump). I am dosing the following:

Start 1 - .10ml twice a day
    Bak - 2 drops twice a week
    Food - 2 drops twice a week.

I am going to change out my stones on Tuesday. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph

I would stick with the dosing schedule that got you this far. I think you are just seeing the added nutrients being released from those newly exposed surfaces. Maybe an extra water change or two might help as well. It may take some time to get back on track but IMO it won't be as long as the initial phase when you first started zeo.
    SteveU
    “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
    ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Agree with GTR.
      Just keep on keeping on, the zeo will work through the nutrients and your livestock will return to primo health.
      And also your tank will eventually benefit from having the sandbed removed, it would probably have continued to accumulate nasties, you did the right thing.

Comment

you dont wanna strip them to quick and shock your sps
        Nick
        Nick
        180G SPS Mainly
        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
        Calcium Reactor
        3 Tunze 6105's
        Profilux Controller
        ATB Return w/ wavysea
        ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Joseph, I would recommend to change the ZeoStart dosage to a daily basis. If possible split the daily dosage to the morning and the evening. This has nothing to do with your present problem I would general recommend to dose ZeoStart in this way. To your elevated nutrients I would recommend to do nothing. Go an as you did and the nutrients will drop by itself.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks everyone

I'll just keep doing everything as I have in the past. It's just a little disapointing to see my sps brown up. I know that they will color up again. I just get impatient sometimes.

Comment

Hey Joseph,

So you decided to go BB afterall, huh? Seems like your corals will be fine and should be colored up nicely by the time my new tank is up and running for stocking!

Roland

Comment

Welcome Roland where do you know each other from ?
                Nick
                Nick
                180G SPS Mainly
                10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                Calcium Reactor
                3 Tunze 6105's
                Profilux Controller
                ATB Return w/ wavysea
                ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Welcome Roland!!!

It's about time you joined.

Welcome Roland where do you know each other from ?
                  Nick
                  Nick, Roland and Joseph both live in SoCal and we've all traded frags back and forth many times.

Roland is probably the most generous reefer when it comes to fragging so i'm sure he won't have any trouble filling up his new tank.

Comment

Roland,

I didnt know you came over to the dark side . Welcome!!! You'll be happy you made this choice.

Yeah.. I took your advice and pulled the sand bed. Not too crazy about the look yet, but maybe it will grow on me. It was a time bomb waiting to explode. Zeovit cured my valonia problem. Now I know the source of the nutrients before I started the system.

I'm taking great care of your sps. Let me know when you are ready for frags

Madison,

Thanks for the zeovit. I got it yesterday.
                    SCARYBO
                    ZEOhead in Training
                    Last edited by SCARYBO; 05-25-2005, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Awesome New tank huh what size ?
                      Nick
                      Nick
                      180G SPS Mainly
                      10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                      Calcium Reactor
                      3 Tunze 6105's
                      Profilux Controller
                      ATB Return w/ wavysea
                      ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Thanks Guys!

I thought about joining awhile back but I've been too busy anyhow to participate. Hopefully, I'll have more free time once the new tank is up.

Nick,

It's a 170g in-wall tank. Here's a couple of pics.

Joseph,

I'll gladly accept frags when the time comes! :blue: I didn't know you were even a zeohead!

Mad,

I'll be browsing the board frequently once I start zeovit since I forgot pretty much everything you told me on setting it up!

Comment

Roland, that is beautiful! Looks like the person who made this tank for you was also good. If you dont mind, what are your dimensions?

Comment

sweetlooking tank bro cant wait to see it done also dimensions would be nice
                            Nick
                            Nick
                            180G SPS Mainly
                            10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                            Calcium Reactor
                            3 Tunze 6105's
                            Profilux Controller
                            ATB Return w/ wavysea
                            ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Roland,

glad to have you aboard.

I'm bummed that the frags I sent for Madison and you didn't make it I hope to have some more for you in the future.

Tom
                              Current Tank: 75g sps restarted with ZEOvit August 2004, Aqua Connect 14K 250W SE MH x 2, SLS HQI ballasts, 54W blueplus T5s x 2, H&S A150 external (recirculating) skimmer, Tunze Stream 6060, 6000 with single controller, Geo Ca reactor, in-sump ZEOvit reactor from Madison, Aquacontroller

Comment

Working...
                              X