some more help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some more help.

First off I would like to thank everyone here for how much help you have given me so far. But I thought I would post a pick of my tank, tell you what all my equipment is, and how I set it up, and then you guys could try to point me in the right direction to make it better.

I just took this pic today. It is a little cloudy because I just blew my rocks off. Also I still have algea, not on the rocks so much, but it still grows on the glass.

Right now I only have 1 mh light hanging above the tank. It is a 175 watt 10k bulb. Is this enough light or should I upgrade. I was thinking of upgrading to a 250 watt 10k bulb and also keeping the 175 but making it a 20k for my atinic. My tank is small so it is hard to fit a lot of vho or any florecient bulbs under it. I just built a hood and am waiting on the reflector so I can put it on my tank.

Next of I have a hob remora skimmer. Is this a big enough skimmer. It is rated up to 55 gallons and I have 30. Would it help to switch the pump to something with a needle wheel? I see all the top skimmers have them.

On the right you will see my hob filter. That just holds my zeo rocks, and my carbon.

for flow you can see I have 3 power heads in the tank, for a total of 600 gph. Two are pointing out at eachother and one is pointing down and going behind the rocks. Is this enough for my flow? I was thinking of getting a sump, upping the flow to the tank with a pump, and running a scwd to switch the current.

I know people have suggested I get a CA reactor. Is that the best thing for me to do right now or do you see some other problems with my system that should be addressed first?

Also my rock was base rock instead of live, could that be part of the reason it is taking so long to get rid of my algea?

Thanks for any help,

-Tim

I like how your lighting is without the hood I would just add another along side it and make it a 20k. I would get a sump also I really like mine it makes things easier and a lot cleaner asthetically. I have a calcium reactor on order and I cant wait. I have been dosing b ionic for years and its really starting to get old.

Comment

Right now I only have 1 mh light hanging above the tank. It is a 175 watt 10k bulb. Is this enough light or should I upgrade. I was thinking of upgrading to a 250 watt 10k bulb and also keeping the 175 but making it a 20k for my atinic. My tank is small so it is hard to fit a lot of vho or any florecient bulbs under it. I just built a hood and am waiting on the reflector so I can put it on my tank.
      I think your 175 is plenty light, if you wish to add an actinic there should be a power compact bulb that fits your tank. I've seen fixtures that you can clip on to the wall of the tank.

Next of I have a hob remora skimmer. Is this a big enough skimmer. It is rated up to 55 gallons and I have 30. Would it help to switch the pump to something with a needle wheel? I see all the top skimmers have them.
      It should be fine for your tank. I wouldn't tinker with it and use the pump recommended by the manufacturer.

for flow you can see I have 3 power heads in the tank, for a total of 600 gph. Two are pointing out at eachother and one is pointing down and going behind the rocks. Is this enough for my flow? I was thinking of getting a sump, upping the flow to the tank with a pump, and running a scwd to switch the current.
      You have enough flow when detritus doesn't settle on the bottom and all the polyps are moving. I don't think you'll be happy with the SCWD. Looking at your tank I think an oscilating powerhead may be benefical for you.

I know people have suggested I get a CA reactor. Is that the best thing for me to do right now or do you see some other problems with my system that should be addressed first?
      For a nano like yours I'd use a 2 part solution like C-Balance.

Also my rock was base rock instead of live, could that be part of the reason it is taking so long to get rid of my algea?
      Yes algae grows better on base rock because of lack of competing organisms amongst other reasons.
      400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys.

-Tim

Comment

Working...
        X