Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soon to start Zeovit, here are tank params.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soon to start Zeovit, here are tank params.

Hi all,
    My tank is about 4-6 weeks away from putting water in it so I wanted to post the answers to the tank parameters questions in the sticky and get dosing info. I plan to go visit with Gary at Captive Oceans when he returns from his trip...I'm local to him so I plan on getting tons of great advice and the "goods" from him. I have the zeoguide, I have read it completely a few times. I have been researching and following various threads here. I have a good sense of the philosophy behind the product...of course I don't get how it works but that does not bother me. Please chime in with any info, the more the better.

Can someone explain what it is about the effluent out of my clacium reactor that is a problem, thus needing something in the calcium reactor to offset this something ...totally confused on this. Thanks very much in advance

Here is all the info on my new tank:

1.Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.)
    Tank-56g sump 16g (if full)
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.)
    Tank and Sump combined-55g accounting for displacement with rock
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
    MyReef single chamber calcium reactor, mini-jet powerhead to feed the reactor, CaribSea A.R.M. calcium reactor media
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) No
    5. Are you using Ozone No
    6. Are you using UV No
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
    LifeReef VS-24 Venturi protein skimmer utilizing a mag 9
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels New tank-nothing yet
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels New Tank-nothing yet
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) Barebottom with Starboard
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
    2 X 250w DE PFO mini pendants…14k Hamilton bulbs- 4 months on bulbs. Plan to swap out after 7-8 months use to 14k AquaConnect bulbs.
    12. What corals do you keep
    Plan to have 15 clams, 15-20 sps corals
    13. Tissue color (light or dark) New tank-nothing yet
    14. How long has the tank been running New tank-running by 6/25/05
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
    Previous tank ran with DSB, refugium, SE MH lights supplemented with VHO. Tank had major algae first year which was a total disappointment and pain, then tank was incredibly beautiful for 3+ years, just awesome. Then the tank slowly started to decline around the 4 ½ year mark. My SPS started to develop stn and rtn …a lot of contributing factors. I am interested in Zeovit as I have seen awesome tanks using this system, a friend is doing it and I respect his results as well as his recommendations. I am interested in trying something new and, despite the “trade secret” issue, it seems to be yielding some terrific results for most.
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
    In the past I dosed kalkwasser and B-Ionic two part additive. Not sure now what will be needed on the new tank
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
    50lbs. of new Marshall Island live rock and 30lbs. of old Fiji premium rock from my old system. This rock is being cycled at the moment outside of the tank. I plan to add the rock in late June after having it completely cycled and very “clean” of algae and detritus.
    18. Any present problems New tank-nothing yet
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) New Tank-nothing yet
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
    Salifert- Calcium, Magnesium, Nitrate, (Nitrite & Ammonia-for cycling purposes only), refractometer, trying to get in on the Hannah colorometer for PO4
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)New tank-nothing yet
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
    New Tank-nothing yet

Hi Alicia, ZEOvit method is easier when beginning a new tank, as there's not sequestered nutrients that have built-up.You will be successful, or Gary will be fired Ca Rx's accumulates nutrients in it's system[aragonite]over time, especially P04's, + aragonite needs soaking before use to release the P04 that are already within it. Therefore, a Al3-P04 remover[I use Phosgard, other use K-Z's product] is place in a container below the Ca Rx effluent, but above the water surface. For your system, I recommend the following:
    1) dose 1/2ltr. of zeolites in a canister-filter with a flow rate of ~ 50gph. A little more or less is fine. Pump clean the stones at least once/day. On the first cycle the stones are exchanged in 4wks. Thereafter the cycle period extends to 6wks. Cycle the zeo-filter on & off at 3hr. intervals, but in your situation with a new tank, no livestock, this is not necessary & the filter can be run continuously.
    2)dose 1/2 Cup carbon in a mesh-bag, passively in your sump. Knead this every other day. Exchange this carbon every 4wks.
    3)dose 2drops bak/food7 daily for the 1st 2wks, then 2x's/wk. Turn off your skimmer for 60min after you dose bak/food.
    4)dose Start2 .1ml daily. This can be split into 2 doses at .05ml. It is not necessary to turn off your skimmer just when dosing Start2.
    After 2-3wks., your system should be cycled, & ready for livestock. Ask questions as they appear. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

15 clams I love it. Good luck with the new system
      Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

WELCOME please share pics as you go
        Nick
        Nick
        180G SPS Mainly
        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
        Calcium Reactor
        3 Tunze 6105's
        Profilux Controller
        ATB Return w/ wavysea
        ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Thanks Bob, just what I needed concrete beginning doses.

diesel3443, yea, gotta love the clam tanks. I have been designing, dreaming, fantasizing, etc. for the past 3 years about this tank. I ended up going a bit smaller on the tank than I wnated to due to house constraints...what you do for love . The tank is sweeeeeet, custom LeeMar job, eurobracing, great workmanship. With the zeovit system I feel like I am going to have the sweetest tank. I can't wait...well actually I can, I am quite patient.

nyfireman3097, Thank you for your nice welcome. I am enjoying my time here. I look forward to posting pics as I go. I already have a website up and designed for the new tank. It will chronical coral and clam growth, my experience with zeovit, etc. Nothing like hard evidence in pics from day one on how it all works out. BTW, Awesome avatar. I plan on keeping only one montipora cap (I'll be on the lookout for a spectacular one, like yours ) in the tank due to limited space. Yours is a real nice one. I love the caps and others of their kind.

Comment

TY very much that is from tyree i sent him a pic of it and he says its the closets to the leng sy cap i have newer pics of it w/ full polyp extension looks amazong
            Nick
            Nick
            180G SPS Mainly
            10 Bulb T5 Starfire
            Calcium Reactor
            3 Tunze 6105's
            Profilux Controller
            ATB Return w/ wavysea
            ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Working...
            X