reef crystals test results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reef crystals test results

I just opened a new bucket of rc and tested it twice with salifert kits at 80 degrees 1.024. Results were:

kh 11.2
    ca 415
    mg 1320
    no3 0
    po4 0

This seems pretty good except for kh is a little high. I remember someone else did a test of it pretty recently and they were alot different. The results were at 79 degrees and 1.025 kh 10 ca 380 mg 1200 no3 0 po4 o. I was very surprised at the results I always thought rc had very low mg and ca maybe they corrected this. All make up water should be checked before being added to the tank.

Hey that was me,

i just got a new bucket and i am going to run some more test tomorrow to see what i get, right now the water is mixing overnight.

i will post them tomorrow if you like?

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Note that salt will mix differently for everyone not using RODI water because Ca and KH are usually not zero in the source water. If you use plain tap water the KH can be very high.

At a 5% water change a KH of 11 wont really cause your tank's KH to shift all that much.
      400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

RJF - I used to use RC salt and my test results were the same as yours. I switched to Oceanic because of the high KH of RC.

Comment

i use RODI water too,

Nick
          275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

I use rodi water too, even with the high kh I still have probs trying to keep my tank kh high enough so it seems to work good for me. After a wc the tank kh only raises .3-.5. Nick could you report your new results. Wade what does oceanic mix up to ?

Comment

Originally posted by rjf
              I use rodi water too, even with the high kh I still have probs trying to keep my tank kh high enough so it seems to work good for me. After a wc the tank kh only raises .3-.5. Nick could you report your new results. Wade what does oceanic mix up to ?
              The KH of Oceanic is around 8.5 to 9 dkh.

Comment

Wow if RC mixes to a KH of 11 in RODI water imagine what it does in straight tap water in an area with a hard water supply.... might mix to more than 15!
                400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

I do measure several times RC salt but always MG level is too low.. (under 1200)
                  I used RO/DI water, 1.025salinity and salifert MG test kit...I measured MG 2days later
                  After putting it in water. To mix it with water, I use small power head..

I do not know why MG leve is so low in my testing...
                  Temperature can be the factor? or foreign imported salt is different from US?

->16th May 16:38 Vince

www.spsholic.com

Comment

Originally posted by 7thheaven
                    I do not know why MG leve is so low in my testing... Temperature can be the factor? or foreign imported salt is different from US?
                    That's right, any batch that doesn't pass the quality control tests they give to the Koreans

Comment

Originally posted by Orion76
                      That's right, any batch that doesn't pass the quality control tests they give to the Koreans

:cursin:

www.spsholic.com

Comment

With Oceanic, I measure the KH with each new bucket,....my current batch measures KH of 4.8 so I must add buffer with this particular batch, to prevent KH swings.Bob
                        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Here are the results from my 2 day aged RC. 1.025 sg 79.7 degrees

Ca 400
                          Alk 9.5
                          Mag 1230
                          P04 0
                          N03 0

Mixed with RO/DI

CAReefer
                          265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

Working...
                          X