low alk and high cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low alk and high cal

i was doing some testing tonight and found that my alk was kinda low and my cal was around 460. i dont know how low because my alk test is a crappy redsea test. is this common? should i use some seachem reefbuilder to raise the alk? thanks ben

Def make sure what your alk is before adding supplement
    Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

Diesel is right. get your Alk straightened out before you get anything else fixed first. Are you using a Ca Reactor?

Comment

... and if your alk is truly low... is quite a common problem having high CA/low alk with the method. Simply turn your ca reactor off, sustain the alk with a buffer for a few days, until the Ca level has dropped to NSW values, and then turn the reactor on again to keep values steady. I have to do that every couple months or so.
        Alessandro

Comment

thanks for the hel guys

Comment

i got new test kits today.. tested the alk and it was 7.2.. i did a 15g water change, hope that helps.. the needle valvue on my reactor broke today and i cant get the parts till friday.. if there is anything else i should do please let me know..

Comment

after a 15g water change.. my alk is now 8.6 (too high?) and ca is at 490 still (i know thats too high). i get the parts i need for my ca reactor on friday 13th.... should i start using it again?? or wait till the ca goes down.. my ph is still good at 8.3..

Comment

Ben I had a similar situation some moth ago plus I lost some SPS while I had a Ca reading around 500 with a KH of 6,5.

I would recommend to hold on the CaCO2 reactor stop until your Ca is around 430 (Salifert new version – 2 ml – 8 drops). Than I would recommend to start the reactor again.

Please check your present Ca test if it is showing you the correct results.

Please make sure you daily measure your KH until the problem has gone. I would recommend to keep it around 6,5 with a daily addition of sodium hydrogen carbonate or a buffer added in the morning and in the evening. Please try to prevent the tank from bigger KH swings. The quantity depends to the tank size and the quantity of consumers.

Continue this as long as your Ca is down, restarting the reactor.

Optimal levels (minimum and maximum are:

Ca 420 – 440 mg
                KH 6,5 – 8

G.Alexander

Comment

sounds good.. i guess amy alk wasnt low then,, it was at 7.0 but i thought it had to be between 8 and 8.5

Comment

Working...
                  X