Help me Plan....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me Plan....

Hey guys, well i have decided to start a small frag tank this summer.

the first thing is it will be tied into my system by a mag18 or mag12.

next thing is my system right is 180 gallon main tank and 70 gallon sump filled with about 43 gallons.

BUT the big thing is right now i have 4 reef optic III pendants 250w DEs and i do NOT have a chiller! i live in Michigan and the tank is in my basement i have 5 fans on a dual stage medusa and it keeps my tank at 79-80 all year around!

so now come the tank demensions and layout,

i am thinking of about 2 feet long, do not really want to go longer. Then i want about 2 feet wide. then i would like it to be about what 15 inches deep? do you think thats a good depth?

what do you think about the demensions? should i change them?

lets see next thing, couple of questions,

1. What do you think as far as flow? i am thinking of a mag18 or mag12 for the return pump, i will go with 3 1" bulkhead or should i go with 2 1.5" bulkheads?

then as far as additional flow, do you think i should go with a closed loop? or some of those seios? what do you think? if you think closed loop how mnay holes and what pump?

2. for lighting, should i go with T5's to help with the heat? i hear they do not add any heat to the system or barely any at all? or should i stick with another 250w DE setup?

i am trying to not add heat to the system since i DO NOT have a chiller.

3. i forgot to say the tank demensions do not include the overflow, i am thinking of doing an overflow off to the side, i need this to be quite since it will go right next to my tank, right where the TV is.

so the overflow will be like an addition the the tank on the left side, with the demension of 2 feet wide, 5 or 6 inches long and 15 inches high, the left side of the tank will be cut to have those slits in it or overflow teeth.

OR should i just go with an external overflow on the left side? i need it on the left side because that way i can run PVC to my current sump and then my mag 12 or 18 back to the prop tank.

4. ALSO should i go glass or acrylic? i am thinking acrylic if i go closed loop, but if i do not go with a closed loop then i think glass? what do you think?

so what else do i need? i will use egg crate to rest the frags on and maybe even create some shelfs.

so what do you think?

this will be for SPS, maybe some zoos and rics, but i can create shading for them.

thanks!

Nick
    Last edited by nbd13; 05-10-2005, 08:46 PM.
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

hey what you could do about the heat...you should turn the frag tank light on when your main tank lights are off (it will heat the water a little) and when your main tank lights are on, you turn the frag tank lights off...if you do it right, it will help keep your tank cool...

Comment

Nick, you could even do 150w de that would also be sufficient. With a mag 18 feeding it thru 2 bulkheads and a scwd you would prob have enough flow. If not you could possibly add a seio. As for depth go with the 2ft and be done with it. Im upgrading my tank soon to a 90g 48x24x17 because of the width. and its a little shorter than my 55g which will lead to better light penatration from my 150w
      Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

i am thinking i have measured and changed my mind, i think 36 long by 16 wide by 15 deep, since this is a frag tank i do not care about depth just want the frags to be happy and grow.

so maybe a 150w DE would work.

come on Edward were are you at give me your input, haha!

thanks guys keep it coming!

Nick
        275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Originally posted by nbd13
          i am thinking i have measured and changed my mind, i think 36 long by 16 wide by 15 deep, since this is a frag tank i do not care about depth just want the frags to be happy and grow.

so maybe a 150w DE would work.

come on Edward were are you at give me your input, haha!

Nick
          Hey, im right here. I had to sleep. Im awake now.

You can definitely do 150's. John B was a great example of using 150's in his past tank. The only difference I would see with the 150 MH and T5's is that the 1500 would give out a little more heat. My T5 is hot to touch, but not hot to emit. I can put my hand close to it and I wont feel the heat. but if I put my hand under the DE's, you can feel the heat. But that is also 250 instead of the 150 you are thinking about. Im seriously thinking of removing my Aquaspacelight with 250w DE's and replacing it with T5's instead on my frag tank. Just havent made the jump yet. I also only leave my frag tank lights on for 4 hrs day. Definitely add fans over it. Adding fans over my frag tank has helped a lot!! No chiller needed.

36 is a lot better than 24. Im at 48 and that is just the right size if you can get it. You will run out of room fast. My tank is 12" high and that is also fine for me. I wouldnt go any less.

Either Glass or Acrylic will work. I havent had any problems with choosing Acrylic over glass. I dont own a glass tank so I cannot comment.

Last words... take it slow. You will know what you need when the time comes. Just get the bare bones items like lighting, flow, and tank up first.

Comment

haha thanks for the reply. i thought you already had T5 lighting on your frag tank? or what i wrong?

i am going to go with 36 long by 12 high by 16 deep.

if i do go with MHs i only want one, so which one would you do? the reef optic IIIs?

for T5 whats the best lighting out there?

what do you think for flow though? closed loop or just returns from sump and then maybe 2 powerheads?

i am going to use a mag 12 for the return because i have an extra one laying around, so i am thinking 2 1 inch bulkheads drilled in the bottom of the overflow box to drop water down to my sump. that should work right?

so now all i need is the best place to get this from?

i think i am going to go with acrylic too.

so i want something that will NOT BOW! who do you think i chould get t build this? i live in Michigan.

whats a far price for a tank 36by16by12? and what thickness of acrylic should i use? is 1/4" enough or is like 1/2" better?

so now all i need is to make a decesion on the closed loop or powerheads and then the lighting either 1 250w DE or T5?

then i have to pick someone to build it for me.

anyway help me out guys i am almost there!

Nick

Comment

I have 4 tanks which are 72" x 12" x 12" tall. That works well if your goal is for corals all wanting/needing the same amount of light. If I couldn't put different lights on the different tanks I'd have a tough time with some of the corals. I'm running a mixture of 150-400w MH on three of them and the last has 3-60" VHO. IMO, the VHO is the best setup for these 12" deep tanks.
              SteveU
              “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
              ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Thanks Steve, i am really considering trying t5s i just dont know, i want good growth and color, i was going to run a 250w DE setup with 14k Pheoniz in it i think.

i just cant add any heat to the system. i might run it opposite my tank lights. but that might keep me up at night!

Nick

Comment

Working...
                X