Couple basic questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple basic questions.

Am I understand right that the ZEOlites or Media that goes in the reactor also keep the Cal, Ak, and Mg in check? They just might need to be adjusted with B-Ionic or some other two part. Also how much of a Calcium demand can this reactor handle, will I need a Calcium reactor eventually?
    I need to have the reactor on a 3hr on, 3hr off cycle correct? Is this only for the first 4 weeks or indefinately? How much flow do I want going through the reactor my net water is 75Gallons.

Concerning water changes....Right now I do weekly waterchanges of 15 gallons, should I continue this amount once on ZEO or change it? If change it what do I change it to? thanks guys you have all been alot of help for me understanding.
    -Nathan
    65 SPS
    692Watts
    2085gph Max Flow
    Current Pride and Joy-Red Sea Regal Angelfish

ZEO - Phase 2

Hi Nathan, the zeolites within the dedicated zeolite filter will have no impact on Ca/Mg/KH. It functions biologically & probably chemically. Just maintain your parameters as you have in the past. The cycling of the zeolites can continue indefinitely or at least well into several months of Zeovit. Zeovit method recommends a 5-10% WC/wk. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Ok so I could continue to drip Kalkwasser....Someone a RC told me that it took the place of that. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
      65 SPS
      692Watts
      2085gph Max Flow

ZEO - Phase 2

Comment

KW is not used with ZEOvit as it precipitates "pooled-P04's" which will eventually need removal by the method. Bob
        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Ok, so if I dont' have a reactor I just use a twopart? Isn't that bad not to have the constant levels that SPS perfer?
          65 SPS
          692Watts
          2085gph Max Flow

ZEO - Phase 2

Comment

the best thing for you to invest in is a calcium reactor, they are expensive up front but pay themselfs off over the corse of time compared to the additvies you would have to buy (B-ionic)

anyway i recomend, GEO, deltec, or myreef, the first 2 being the best in my mind.

Nick
            275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Try using Oceanic salt as well I also have a small tank and Have not added calcium in two months
              Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

What about a BARR Reactor I like the design how the pump is in the base of the system, Space is going to be of the upmost since I'm going to have two reactors now....ZEO may have to wait a month or two. But right now my Kalkwasser is building up Ph problems in my tank, I never knew that I'll try to take care of that problem ASAP. Thanks guys, just when I think I'm figureing it out I get smacked w/ reality right in the face again
                65 SPS
                692Watts
                2085gph Max Flow

ZEO - Phase 2

Comment

I see no problems with the two part additives. I stated ZEO in July 04 and I'm still using a two part. Ca reactor is ready to go just have not set it up yet.
                  I'll go along with the Oceanic comment as well. I moved my 200g system across town into a 350g system using 150g of the old water. 100 came from a LFS coral system that uses Oceanic and the rest was fresh made Oceanic. 3 weeks later I've yet to add Ca.
                  SteveU
                  “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
                  ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Well I cannot decide now....A the Cal Reactor I want is going to be about $600 and ZEO is going to be just under $500. My system is still very young and my corals are all frags still, I suppose I can get by w/ TwoPart until I move the tank in August and then switch it out then. What do you guys think is best for me? I still have about 120Gallons of Instant Ocean left and I want to use that before I switch to Oceanic.
                    -Nathan

My current Kalk mix is 8tbl spoons of Kalk and 4.5 of Vinigar for Ph to give you an idea of my Calcium demand.
                    65 SPS
                    692Watts
                    2085gph Max Flow

ZEO - Phase 2

Comment

Working...
                    X