Shadowy colony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadowy colony

I have a wild tricolor colony that is very dense and it grows at a very sharp angle over the base blocking out light for a large area of the base and it has been bleaching in the shadow area. I have tried different positions and cut out some of the inner branches to let light through but to no avail.

Is this bleaching in the dark area detrimental to the rest of the colony? I am considering removing the colony from its base and splitting it in two, is that the right thing to do?
    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Hi Timon, have you gone to higher K bulbs? I'd try an Iwaski 6.5K over this coral but be careful with photo-adaptation. The brightness of this bulb will penetrate down thru to the base, & increase whirling, random current to this area of your reefBob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Bob, the coral is so dense, and the branches are at such a sharp angle from the base that I think I could only get light to the problem area by shining on it from the side. I have tried tilting the problem area more to the light but then I get the same problem on the other side of the base

As you can see I have fragged some branches to let more light through but it didn't help much because the colony is completely solid at the core.

400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Timon, have you recently had a swing in salinity, temperature or KH? Ca levels>400? How long has the basal recession been present? Where was the coral located in your reef when you first noticed this? Have you checked for parasites?Thnx. Bob
        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

It has been in my tank for 2 months and it started within the first 2 weeks of receiving it and it has progressed slowly ever since.

I haven't had any sudden swings since I got it, I have inspected for parasites but don't have a magnifying glass so I can't be sure. I've been meaning to get one.

The reason I think it's the lack of light is because the bleached area is in the exact same shape of the shadow that is cast by the branches, another theory is that it could also be a parasite that prefers the shadow?

Comment

Working...
          X