Whats your daily routine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your daily routine?

I was curious to know what is everyone's daily routine towards your aquarium. Im not counting weekly routines such as water changes, carbon changes and so on. This is what you do when you come home to see your tank.

For me, I inspect all corals for signs of problems, growth, & coloring. Usually some coral is out of place and I have to reseat it. Usually if my ricordias arent puff'd out, I will dose KIF. The next day they will puff out like normal. If the glass/window looks hazy, I run my magnet over it. I may also clean the back wall too depending how i feel. Oh, in the morning before i leave to work, I pump my ZEOvit reactor and fondle the Carbon bag. I also check for inconsistent flow patterns with my powerheads. I will feed fish every other day with a cube of mysis. In the equipment room, I inspect PH level of Ca Reactor. I also inspect the drip rate in case it slowed down due to a line clog. I also fill up my water reservoir if needed. I dose ZEOvit components if necessary then too. I may clean the top glass if hazy or if it has water/salt on it lessening light penetration. I think thats about it.

First I have a good look at my corals, then I give my reactor a good pump, make sure the skimmer is running right, take a peek at my AquaController display, dose Start2 and zeobak and zeofood if needed. A few times a day I put a pinch of cyclop eeze in the tank and add two more doses of Start2. After lights out I give the reactor another good pumping and add AAHC, AALPS and the final dose of Start2 and go to bed.
    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

i wake up add start and pump check to make sure skimmer is working when lights come o n i check out corals aand fix any moved ones then i prepare 1/2 a cube os mysis w/ zoe zoecon and marine c 2 oclock i feed them w/ my tunzes off add start and pump reactor check alk dose b ionic in a bucket of RO/DI water then at night i add start and pump reactor
      Nick
      Nick
      180G SPS Mainly
      10 Bulb T5 Starfire
      Calcium Reactor
      3 Tunze 6105's
      Profilux Controller
      ATB Return w/ wavysea
      ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Wow... I dont do anything

J/k!!!!!!!!!!
        Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

Wake up...

after school...look a acro's and notice my rocks are barren of any (none) algae.

Feed fish if I feel like it. (mabe once a week I feed them...)

Look a glass. If it is covered in algae, I may clean it, depending on how I feel or how bad it is.

Clean skimmer mabe once a week.

well check salinity once every month or so...mabe less often(I dont worry about salinity too much).
          Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

First thing I check to be sure every thing is running, returnpump, ca reactor, zeo, & skimmer, I always test my KH trying to lower it. I also check my ph meter at this time, I also pump my zeo chamber and add any supplements as needed. then I'll add water to my top off tank if needed and add buffer if needed.

When I get home in the evening I'll look over the tanks to see how all of the animals are doing and adjust if something has moved. I feed every other day, add zeo supplements if needed and pump reactor, clean glass as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by invincible569
              I pump my ZEOvit reactor and fondle the Carbon bag.
              I think you spend way too much time w/ your tank. j/k

Comment

Ahh.. I forgot about checking the skimmer level and equipment failures.

Comment

yeah but thats a gimme tank matnience is dose when needed (1 Mintute) feed fish (1 minute to thaw out 10 minutes to feed i drop a lil at a time) and pump 3x a day (1 minute)
                  Nick
                  Nick
                  180G SPS Mainly
                  10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                  Calcium Reactor
                  3 Tunze 6105's
                  Profilux Controller
                  ATB Return w/ wavysea
                  ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

lets see wake up, dose start, pump zeo reactor, fondle carbon, haha. since the tank lights are out, i use a flash light to check the tank and corals. check skimmer, check all other equipment real quick.

then make up some fish food frozen of course and through it in a cup with some RODI water and stick it in the fridge

then at 11 or 12 feed the fish dose start again check fish over, and coral since the lights are on.

2 or 3 make up more food like above for evening feeding.

6 or 7 feed fish and dose start or other componets of the zeo system if needed. clean skimmer and glass if needed.

check alk and calcium, check out the calcium reactor (still fine tuning to get the levels where i need after i added all that coral from John i had to do some adjusting.)

switch out my pre-filter on my mag12 and thats about it.

if i feel like it i will clean the back glass every 2 or 4 days.

thats about it.

Nick
                    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

you guys should really consider soaking your food to remove your PO4 from the frozen food. i soak mine for a good 3 or 4 hours and once i tested after soaking for 4 hours and i got 0 PO4 from the food.

i let it sit in the fridge for 4 hours then tested about go PO4 off the charts! then i dumped the food through a fine brine net and then added more RODI water and let it sit for 15 minutes and then re-tested and got 0 PO4!

just a thought.

Nick
                      275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Nick, with great husbandry skills like yours, your corals will love you as they grow! Keep up the good work!

Comment

do you make your own food nick?

Comment

it depends, i have my own food made up if you want the recipe let me know.

i feed a varitey of pre-made food, mysis forumla 1 and 2 blood worms, angel forumla, krill

then i feed cyclopeeze once in awhile (frozen of course i truely think its better IME)

and then my homemade stuff.

plus i will start feed nori when i get my blueline angel and majestic or regal. i am supposed to get my blueline this friday hopefully, then my majestic or regal in about 3-4 weeks after that. i was supposed to get a majestic last friday, but it jumped the night before it was supposed to ship so now i am getting a blueline that is not eating SPS and then hopefully Sedar can find me a majestic or regal eating and not eating SPS.

anyway thanks again Edward i try my best haha espically after getting John's babies.

Nick

Comment

what i do when i defrost my food is i add the cube to a lil cup add my zoe oecon and marine c a lil water then after it defrosts for 15 minutes i empty it out and add fresh salt water to it and mush it out of cube form
                              Nick
                              Nick
                              180G SPS Mainly
                              10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                              Calcium Reactor
                              3 Tunze 6105's
                              Profilux Controller
                              ATB Return w/ wavysea
                              ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Working...
                              X