Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is our new favorite salt mix??

Hello fellow zeovit users!!

I was wondering (over here) what our new favorite salt mix is for use with Zeovit? I know we used to like Oceanic, but people seem to be shying away from it these days. I need to buy some salt and I'm wondering what the flavor of the month is.

Right now I'm stuck between IO and Kent because I can get them fairly cheap.

I can get TM, but I could never get my CA above 400 when I was using TM before.

Any thoughts on Coralife?

--Rick
    Zeovit user since October 2, 2004

I still use Oceanic and can't pin any issues I've had on the salt. Bad batch yes, but overall I'm about as happy as I could be after 12-200 gallon buckets (I just counted my empties).
    SteveU
    “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
    ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

I currently use oceanic, but I have that nasty black hair algae that I can't get rid of.

I don't want to blame oceanic yet, but I'd like to try something else for a month or so to see if it is to blame.

--Rick

Comment

I still like Oceanic. I haven't had any of the issues some people seem to have.

I did find out when I bought a new bucket last week that they had a price increase first of the year. I thought the timing was interesting, considering all the supposed issues.

Comment

Oceanic here too

Comment

I am using Tropic Marin Pro Reef. It's been working fine, but I am interested in trying the Aqua Medic Reef Salt. Apparently, it is available here in the US. Does anyone know of an online retailer who carries it?

Tom
            Current Tank: 75g sps restarted with ZEOvit August 2004, Aqua Connect 14K 250W SE MH x 2, SLS HQI ballasts, 54W blueplus T5s x 2, H&S A150 external (recirculating) skimmer, Tunze Stream 6060, 6000 with single controller, Geo Ca reactor, in-sump ZEOvit reactor from Madison, Aquacontroller

Comment

was Bob trying that? I think he was, if so I think he goes to PA check and see if they have it.

Comment

Back to Kent Marine Salt and I am not switching again. Tried IO, Oceanic, Tropic Marin, back to my favorite.
                I am out there, and loving every minute of it!

Out of the closet, that is. The Zeo closet.

Comment

Oceanic here now.. Was an IO user for 13 yrs before the switch.. No problems here so far and its almost perfect params for zeo setup...

Comment

I used to use filtered seawater from my lfs until I checked the params. they were horrible (they filtered more than they should ) I now use Oceanic and cant be happier I havent supp calcium in 2 months
                    Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

so far a like tropic marine pro-reef..but,i did only 3 w/c...
                      i use regular tm for 2 years with no probolem

mike

Comment

mshur,

Where did you get the pro-reef?

I like TM, I just hated have my calcium in the 360's.

--Rick

Comment

I use oceanic and have been doing so now for 2 weeks. No algae problems at all and the levels are all really good except Alk. is a little low. I just supplement the Alk. with a buffer and all is great.
                          You're Norma Desmond you used to be big.

I am big it's the pictures that got small.

From the classic movie "Sunset Boulevard"

Comment

Aquamedic Pro-reef since the beginning. Very happy with the results/Paramaters.
                            Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

Tom, Premium Aquatic carries the Aqua-Medic salts. I talked to them earlier this week about them and they said they did not expect to see more until March sometime. Is there much difference in the parameters between the 2 salts (AM,TM-pro reef)? I'm thinking of trying the TM-pro reef but a little over $100 shipped to me makes me want to make sure this would be a good salt before I purchase it. If people think the AM-Meersaltz is the better of the 2 I will probably wait and just get the AM when it comes back into stock.
                              I kind of wonder if maybe a sticky thread on sea salts would be benificial. Someplace people could post mixed parameters of the different salts out there. Has anyone ever noticed if any of the salt makers give a batch/lot #? this would be nice to help in tracking batch incosistencies. Just a thought .
                              Take Care,
                              Chad

Comment

Working...
                              X