Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know where I can get some Dolomite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know where I can get some Dolomite?

I just tested my Mag this morning and it's down to 1170.

I figure dolomite in my calcium reactor is probably the easiest way for keep it up. Does anyone know where I can get some?

--Rick
    Zeovit user since October 2, 2004

No idea, but Zeomag magnesium granules in your calcium reactor is just as easy
    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Nevermind, I found it.

--Rick

Comment

Hi Rick, dolomite in the Ca Rx can raise Mg in our aquariums but I'm like Timon, in that I like the Pro-Mg granules[GroTech or Korallen Zucht] at about 10%-15% at the top of my reactor. The amount really depends on your opening level & quantity % Mg in one's saltBob
        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Thanks Bob!

I just sent a PM to Madison looking for a bag. My Mg used to be really high (when I was using oceanic) but has dropped since I switched to IO. My calcium is also a bit low at 375.

I'm beginning to think that people who use half oceanic and half IO are on to something.

--Rick

Comment

Where can dolomite be located. I would like to know for futre reference
            Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

Hi Sean, maybe Rick can help here, but it is usually available from farm feed stores. Bob
              "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

If not I will just go with the Mg granulate when the time comes
                Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

I do not know anything about the Grotech granulate, but I can say, it took a lot of time for Thomas to find a Mg granulate which does not contains to much contaminations like trace elements. While I have used Grotech my corals told me there are not very much trace elements contained - it also worked fine for me

Rick are you sure your salinity is OK ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander
                    I do not know anything about the Grotech granulate, but I can say, it took a lot of time for Thomas to find a Mg granulate which does not contains to much contaminations like trace elements. While I have used Grotech my corals told me there are not very much trace elements contained - it also worked fine for me

Rick are you sure your salinity is OK ?

G.Alexander
                    I just measured it, it's 1.024 using a refractometer.

At this point, the plan is to use the Mg in the reactor to stablize Mg. Now I need to figure out how to get calcium and Mg back to optimum levels.

--Rick

Comment

Might want to consider this.....

"It has been suggested that adding dolomite to CaCO3/CO2 reactors can help with magnesium problems. Dolomite is a material that contains both magnesium and calcium carbonate. If dolomite is being added to the reactor to maintain existing appropriate magnesium levels against the continual depletion via calcification (for example, if the calcium carbonate being used is too low in magnesium to maintain adequate magnesium) then this is a fine approach.

However, this method is unsuitable if the goal is to raise magnesium levels. The problem is that for every magnesium ion released from the dolomite, 2 units of alkalinity are also released:

MgCO3 Mg++ + CO3--

Consequently, if one wants to raise magnesium by 100 ppm, the alkalinity will necessarily rise by 8.2 meq/L (23 dKH). The only way around this problem is to add a mineral acid (not vinegar) to the aquarium to reduce the alkalinity, and that may be more problematic than just adding magnesium in the first place."

From Randy H-F Advanced Aquarist Article on Mg. You can find it in the archives listed under Chemistry in the Aquarium.

Comment

Thanks Big E. I actually saw that article. My plan is to use some Kent's Tech-M to get the MG levels back to normal then use the Zeo Mag/Dolomite to maintain the levels.

Once I'm back to normal, I'll need to add MG as well as calcium to my WC water. What a drag, but doing this is still WAY cheaper than TM pro reef.

--Rick

Comment

Working...
                        X