Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when will Macro algae die out with Zeo system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when will Macro algae die out with Zeo system?

A friend of mine is running the Zeo system, and is getting good result so far. The Acro color has lightened, and the polyp extention is great! At the 7th week after the use of Zeo system, he increased the amount of Zeolith a bit. So far, nothing changes. Now is the second week after the Zeolith change out already.
    The question is, through out the addition of the Zeovit system, macro algae (feather looking algae, very thin and tiny) is still growing at the overflow (and only see them at overflow). I understand when nutrient is low enough, Algae will die out, but how low is low?
    The PO4 reading from Hanna photometer is 0.06-0.08 right now.
    Is NO3 be the more important factor is this case?

Yeah~ I solved the macro algae problem after using RO/DI and lowering KH level (7.0)

the level of PO4 and NO3 is almost zero with salifert test kit...

I think NO3 is also important factor with PO4 IMHO...

www.spsholic.com

Comment

Hi 7thheaven,
      What kind of Macro Algae problem you have before? What was your KH, and PH before?
      Thx!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Baboo
        Hi 7thheaven,
        What kind of Macro Algae problem you have before? What was your KH, and PH before?
        Thx!

Bob
        a few weeks ago. there are so many caulerpa algea suddenly...and I do not
        know the name but there are also short hairy algae. I do not know the ph
        but KH was more 8..

so I added DI filter and lower KH, and more start1 dosing...

HTH...

www.spsholic.com

Comment

Does DI water make that much more of a difference? I use RO water from one of those despencers at the grocery store.

-Tim

Comment

RO removes 90% of dissolved solids, DI removes more than 99%

Whether it makes a big difference depends on the source water. I for example am adding a DI stage to my RO machine now because the silicates are still too high in the RO product water causing a diatom bloom after each water change.
            400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Originally posted by timsVw
              Does DI water make that much more of a difference? I use RO water from one of those despencers at the grocery store.

-Tim

In my case..yes..

I had used only RO waters and always found NO3 and PO4 level was 1~5

with salifert. After DI filter, Both level is satisfied almost 0

www.spsholic.com

Comment

I would stay away from the RO dispensors at the grocery stores. You never really know how often they are swapping out filters, if ever (IMO). Unless you have TDS meter and can test every time you use the vending machine water I would take the plunge and get the RO/DI kit. It will pay for itself in a relatively short amount of time. Ours is hooked up to make tank water and our drinking water. The runoff water either goes into the washer on the weekends for laundry or into the garden to water the plants.

Comment

Dear Bob(not Aged salt Bob )

I forgot one more thing...

you can try to use KZ carbon...

When I installed DI filter, I also added the KZ carbon..

It is a great stuff and I think it helps the reducing the nutrient for algae...

www.spsholic.com

Comment

Ok, thx Vince. I'll tell my friend to give it a try.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X