some help with BioPhos 3 please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some help with BioPhos 3 please....

so I've been using the BioPhos 3 for a couple of weeks now and I was wondering if someone could answer some questions about it's use and replacement frequency.

tank vol is around 40gal, effluent drip rate is 3ml/min, Ca Rx pH is 6.35 (crushed coral media). I started with the 1/4 cup of BioPhos 3 for 2 weeks, then tested the effluent PO4 and it was 0.12, so I changed out the media and used 1/3 cup this time. 4 days after changing the media PO4 was at 0.10 and 3 days later it is still at 0.10.. I tested PO4 in the effluent before adding the BioPhos media and it was at 0.17..

so to recap, 1 week ago PO4 = 0.12, then 3 days ago PO4 = 0.10 and today PO4 = 0.10.. Tank PO4 was 0.08 1 week ago and hasn't been tested since.

does this mean the BioPhos is only taking some PO4 out of the effluent ? Do I need more BioPhos media ? is the flow rate to slow ? or do I need to change the media more often than every 2 weeks ?

I just ordered a new dosing pump to replace the current one so I will be increasing the effluent rate to 5 - 10ml/min soon.

thanks,
    rich.

Rich, the Al based absorbers are very effective in absorbing PO4, but they heave the con to be quick depleted if you “feed” them with higher PO4 water .

Have you ever checked the PO4 level of your CaCO2 reactor outlet before the BioPhos ?

It is not possible to tell you a changing interval. This depends to the PO4 quantity which flow through the material. You only can find it out by measuring PO4 after BioPhos which should be 0,00 with the fresh material.

G.Alexander

Comment

yeah I think there is a fair amount of PO4 coming out of the reactor. last time I checked (3 weeks ago) it was 0.17.

I'm going to try changing the media out tonigh then taking some more tests tomorrow.

Should I increase the amount of media or just watch it more closely and change it more often ?

thanks,
      rich

Comment

Rich, I would recommend the usage around 200 ml, but you have to make sure all the material is passed by the water flow. 0,17 mg PO4 is veryhigh for a reactor outlet. Looking forward to your report.

G.Alexander

Comment

If your CA reactor media has such high a phosphate content it might be worth trying some media from a different source.
          400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

How is the water flowing through the media? If it is flowing down through the media then you may not have enough contact time to remove all the PO4. Maybe try flowing the water up through the media and see what happens. BTW I think that if your reactor is releasing that much PO4 then I would be looking for new media. HTH

Colin
            120 BB w/20g BB side tank, 29g sump, (2) 250w RO III, 14k AC, Bluewave VII ballast, Deltec 851, Panworld 150 return, (2) 6000 Streams w/controller, AC II Controller w/(2) DC4, GEO 618 CR.

If at first it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer - Beat to fit paint to match

Comment

yeah I'm inclined to agree with everyone about the media. I'll try and pickup some new media in the next couple of days. in the mean time I just swapped out the old media for 1/2 a cup (around 120ml ?) of new BioPhos 3. this is all the reactor cup will currently hold, if I do need to go bigger I can always make a larger cup.

I'll test PO4 later on tonight.

the biophos is in an up-flow reactor and at only 3ml/min I hope the contact time is long enough.

thanks,
              rich.

Comment

just tested the Ca Rx PO4 and got 0.04, not bad since it was 0.10 last night and I put 1/2 a cup of new biophos in 10 hours ago. so, at 3ml/min that means 1800ml has passed through the 120ml of BioPhos media thus far.

I'll test again in the morning, 3ml/min means holding the 10ml vial under the drip for 3+ minutes to take a sample but I've got to solve my PO4 addiction some how

if it's gone up by the morning does that mean the biophos media is exhausted already ? or does it take some time before it fully stops absorbing PO4.. it seems at least the BioPhos is taking some PO4 out of the effluent, so maybe I do need more BioPhos media to make up for the horrible amount of PO4 coming out of the Ca Rx ?

at this rate I'm going to need a bigger bag of biophos pretty soon

thanks,
                rich.

Comment

Rich, I would first recommend to change your CaCO2 reactor media. I use a PO4 low coral gravel which gives me a PO4 reading after 2 or 3 days using it in the reactor of 0,03 – 0,04 mg. The fresh media has a PO4 level around 0,06 – 0,08 in the first days.

G.Alexander

Comment

wow, BioPhos 3 is fast acting... I just tested PO4 coming out of the reactor and it's back up to 0.16 :devil2:

so, I swapped out the 1/2 cup of biophos for 1/2 cup of Fe based PO4 absorber. I plan on testing it after 10hrs, and again tomorrow morning to see what sort of job it can do for the phosphate monster...

I'm trying to source some ARM reactor media locally and hope to have it replaced in a couple of days.

thanks,
                    rich.

Comment

after 10hrs the Fe based PO4 absorber was reading 0.03, not bad and about the same as the BopPhos. I'll test again in the morning to see how long it lasts.

Ordered a 50lb bag of ARM media today so that should be just a couple of days away.

rich.

Comment

Rich, what media were you using that caused such a high PO4 effluent? Im currently running ARM in my Rx but thinking of switching to the Deltec Rowalith C+ media.
                        Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

It was regular old crushed coral media, I did rinse it in RO/DI for a couple of weeks but I guess I didn't get anywhere near all the PO4 out. I've ordered some ARM and I'm going to make something to rinse it in and run a phosban/biophos reactor on it until I read 0.00 PO4.

Comment

Rich, is dat possible? To run ARM in the phosban until 0.00? I would assume that some PO4 is 'embedded' in the media itself will only be released when melted down?
                            Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

What kind of filter housing do you guys use for your Ca reactor effluent? I can't find anything small enough for half a cup of PO4 remover.
                              400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X