a few questions before starting my zeovit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few questions before starting my zeovit

I just purchased all of the startup equipment for zeovit and have a few questions regarding info from the zeovit guide. The alkalinity that they said should be the target range (6.5-7.5) seems REALLY low to me, as almost every source I've seen says that 8-11 should be the target for a reef tank. Also, it recommended that if you have an unnaturally high nutrient load, you should only use 60% of the normal starting amount, but they don't mention what "unnaturally high" is. My nitrate level varies from 2 (normally) to 5 at the worst. Finally, with this system, should I stop using liquid foods (I currently alternate a small dose of frozen phytoplankton and rotifer/unicellular algae mix about twice a week, which is probably why my nitrate levels are where they are instead of closer to zero) for my corals, because from the literature, it seems like the system adds some nutrients, but they seem to be bacterial instead of phyto/zooplankton? I think I'm going to start the system this weekend or the one after; I bought a magnesium testkit since the literature recommended 1300-1350 as the best range, and mine's a little low (1200), so I figure as soon as I can get it where it needs to be, I'm good to go. Thanks for any help.

Hi Earwicker[luv the name, btw].You should notice with the ZEOvit method, parameters mirror image those of NSW levels, from which our corals have evolved over millions of years. ZEOvit allows one to obtain a nutrient-poor environment, whereby, experience with ZEOvit has shown corals do best in a low KH setting[6-8 range], Ca>400, Mg >1200.
    Nutrient reduction too quickly stresses our corals, sometimes to the point of TN, therefore, the lower quantity of zeolites are initially used. This can be increased after the first 4wks. with the first zeolite exchange.
    No additional nutrient import is beneficial with the ZEOvit system, as the mulm, released when cleaning the stones, plus bak/food all provide a food source for our corals. When you are ready to begin, plz. answer the questions from the sticky near the top of this forum, "tell us about your tank" for dosing guidelines. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

First off, please answer the questions at the top of the forum, so we can get a better Idea of your tank. The Zeo guide needs a little tweaking as well. As for alk I run mine at 8.0 dkh and most others on Zeo due as well. Ca should be at 420 and Mg at 1350. Completly balanced and close to NSW levels is the key. As for the food no supplemental feedings for coral are needed. The mulm released from youe Zeo filter when it is pumped is more than enough. As for dosing regimen, please answer the questions as stated above, and Bob aka Aged Salt will chime in for the rest of the help
      Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

I'll check out the questions and answer them. One other thing, can you tell me how I can subscribe to a thread? I can't seem to find the right button to press.

Comment

Whoa, that's a lot of questions! I'll have to answer that one when I have more time.

Comment

Subscribe is right at the bottom of the page on the left. Yeah its a lot of questions but you only have to answer them once

And I forgot, Welcome to Zeoland.
            Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

Greetings All !

Earwicker ... It's great to have you here! ... please allow me to be the second to say ...

... can you tell me how I can subscribe to a thread?
              The way I access the subscribe to thread thing is ... There is a command bar immediately on top of the first post on any page of a thread. It lists "View First Unread", "Thread Tools", "Search This Thread", "Rate Thread", and "Display Mode" ... each with the triangle associated with a pull-down menu.

Click the triangle for the pull-down menu of "Thread Tools" ... you'll find the "Subscribe To This Thread" option there.

HTH ...
              "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
              Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
              X