Help needed with this coral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with this coral

In the photo it looks bleached, but actually it is floro green, my camera cannot get the color.
    A few weeks ago I got one of these, put it in my tank, and within a couple of days all the flesh dropped off.
    Now I've got this identical one a week ago, so I'm being cautious and keeping it in my frag tank, with lower light / flow, more similar to the shop tank it was in, it seems to be doing OK.
    Would like to put it in the main display, which has strong light and flow. But first, as I lost the last one, would like to take some advice.
    What is it? and how much light and flow should it have? and any other info or help would be appreciated.

Looks pretty bright (lighting)... what light is it under now?

Try to get to upstream for the softies and run some carbon if you don't have any in there now.

Steveu

SteveU
    “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
    ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

The lighting in that photo is not that bright, my poor photography skills probably make it look that way. It's under a 10,000k 150 watt MH. MH is about 8 inches above the water, and the coral is directly under it, about 10 inches below the surface. I think it looks bright because of the pale color of the coral.
      You mean put it upstream of the softies? Good idea, although hopefully it will be going into the main display where there are no softies.
      Going by what happened to the last one, I suspect these corals may be sensitive to certain conditions, just hoping someone may know this coral.
      But hey, if it can survive and grow, it will be one mean looking coral! Yes?

Comment

Hi Alastair, RTN within a few days of introduction, generally indicates that this coral was stressed before it entered your reef. With the exception of not blasting a coral by placing it in front of a powerhead, one can not have too much flow for our small-polyped animals I always place new SPS lower in the reef to acclimate it to the lighting for a wk. or two. Then, if it looks healthy, I place it in it's final destination & try to keep from moving it around. Bob
        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

I know what you mean about getting pics that look like the coral. My understanding is that flo green pieces do want bright light.
          Was it mounted when you got it or did you just mount it. Not much encrusting is why I ask.

As for ID... they all look alike to me.
          SteveU
          “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
          ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

[QUOTE=GTR]I know what you mean about getting pics that look like the coral.

Occasionally, I've had that problem Bob

Comment

Thanks Guys, sounds good. Yes it was mounted, it was grown from a frag.

I'm just tuning in my new calcium reactor, so may hold it in the frag tank a few more days, then I'll start it at the bottom of the main.

Cheers!

Comment

The reason I asked about it being mounted and encrusted was it might have been fragged from a piece that was not healthy a growing well. I don't mean to muddy the person you bought it from only that it might be possible.

Bob... Do you think the broad statement about flo green corals needing maybe the brightest light is an accurate statement?

SteveU
                ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Alastair, I would recommend to place the coral in a darker zone until zoox have recovered.

G.Alexander

Comment

OK, didn't explain properly about the frag, it was fragged and aquacultured in Fiji, in the sea. The rock it is on is actually concrete. Then shipped here to New Zealand.
                    G. Alexander, just interested in your comment about the zoox recovering, you are saying it is actually bleached? I have been trying to figure out if it is meant to be the color it is, or not.

The current color is not shown accurately in the photo, in real life it is floro green, but very light.

Comment

[QUOTE=GTR]

Bob... Do you think the broad statement about flo green corals needing maybe the brightest light is an accurate statement?

Hi Steve, I'm not sure I completely understand In Alastair's beautiful light grn. coral, I agree with Alexander in that initially, it should be placed in lower light, as the transport/acclimation process stresses the zoox. & a period of time is needed for them to adapt I would probably keep this coral always in lower light as IME, greens do well in less intense light & this type of Acropora[slim-branched] seems to retain it's color under this lighting. Gradually, if one raises it higher in the light, the green will become more intense. But in a reefscape setting, something will be towards the bottom Bob

Comment

Alastair, I expect it is bleached. If you provide to much light in this condition the coral will get burned. I had the best results with bleached corals if I put them for some weeks in a lower light area until the tissue becomes slow darker.

Than it can be placed in slow steps to higher lighter areas, but I expect this genius needs not to much light.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks, that is greatly appreciated.
                          This calcium reactor is a bit harder to tune in than I thought, however once I have it right the coral will go in the main, at the bottom.
                          Then as per advice given I'll watch for color changes.

Comment

Working...
                          X