Bleach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleach?

Hey guys you know those 300 micron bags that you put carbon in. Is there a way to clean them better? i have used hot water distilled vinegar?

does anyone use bleach? and just rinse very very very well? my mom has some clorox bleach that i thought i try and just rinse the bag very well? only down side i can see is that it is not plain bleach it has a sent to it, i think its meadows or something?

let me know what you think!

thanks!

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

What I have always done is to soak the socks in a bucket with bleach/water mixture. Then they go into the washing machine w/o soap then the drier. I’ve never had a problem doing this.

Colin

PS Someone just asked this question so I told him the same thing.
    120 BB w/20g BB side tank, 29g sump, (2) 250w RO III, 14k AC, Bluewave VII ballast, Deltec 851, Panworld 150 return, (2) 6000 Streams w/controller, AC II Controller w/(2) DC4, GEO 618 CR.

If at first it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer - Beat to fit paint to match

Comment

thanks, i just put them in some bleach and water.

wouldnt your washing machine have traces of soap left over form previous washes? or no?

thanks again!

Nick
      275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Greetings All !

... does anyone use bleach?
        All the time ... CCG's method sounds excellent.

I'm usually dealing with a dozen or so pieces that require sterilization, so I find it a little more convenient to do everything in the washing machine. What I do is ...

First Complete Wash Cycle: For a "medium" load of dirty 200 micron filter socks and pleats, I add about 1/2 cup 5% Chlorox bleach to both the wash cycle and the first rinse cycle. Never use soap.
        Second Complete Wash Cycle: I add ~ 2 teaspoons of DeChlor (sodium thiosulfate solution) to the first wash cycle only.
        Drying: No dryer ... our dryer tends to "chew up" the socks over time ... ...

wouldnt your washing machine have traces of soap left over form previous washes?
        The only residual soap contamination I worry about is when there is "unused" soap left on the agitator, or on the rim of the washer. I wipe any of this away before I begin the cycles ... no worries.

... only down side i can see is that it is not plain bleach ...
        I only use Chlorox.

BTW, chlorination is a really good, economical sterilization technique ... not only for filter materials, but also for phytoplankton and zooplankton culturing equipment. An active chlorine level of 20-25 ppm, with a contact time of 15-20 minutes will kill protozoans and enteric viruses (Hoff & Snell, 2001). Depending on the washer, you may need to interrupt the wash cycle to allow the socks to soak so that you get adequate contact time.

HTH
        Last edited by mesocosm; 04-20-2005, 08:43 AM.
        "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
        Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
        X