Zeovit & coralline algae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeovit & coralline algae

Do you feel there is a correlation between using the Zeovit method and a lack of coralline algae? It seems that many of the tank photos I've seen of Zeovit users are somewhat lacking in coralline. Is this correct? Any speculation why, if this is true?
    Skip Attix
    Editor - Reefkeeping Magazine

Skipper, coralline isn't the only algae that doesn't grow in a ZEOvit tank It's due to the lower KH used[6-8], NSW levels of the elements, & lower nutrients availability. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Bob, any negative effects of running an elevated KH of about 9 so dat coralline will still be abundant? I dunt think the corals will be affected by the higher KH too rite?
      Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

oddly enough I keep my Alk. at around 7-8 and have noticed an increase in my Coralline algae which is good for me as I would like better coverage on my rocks. This seems to go against the status quo of what most people are finding but hey it's good for me at least.
        You're Norma Desmond you used to be big.

I am big it's the pictures that got small.

From the classic movie "Sunset Boulevard"

Comment

I love colline coverage on Rocks but I hate on glass. :-)

www.spsholic.com

Comment

Farish, higher elements in the nutrient-poor environement may bring consequences for our corals. With higher KH levels with ZEOvit, it might be advised to run a slightly lower salinity[1.023] with a slightly higher Ca level for elemental balance. Bob

Comment

Once I had Mg stable, and I started to dose Sr, coralline growth is taking off big time in my tank...

I have read from other reefers on RC, that Sr may be a big factor in coralline growth, and I personally have found this to be true... For years it was thought that intense halide lighting discouraged coralline (which may be a factor), but it's looking more and more like Sr may be even a bigger factor...

BTW, I have been dosing with Kent's Strontium and Molybdenum in very low doses...
              Rimless Starfire 85g SPS
              (36" x 26" x 21")
              ATI Powermodule 10 x 39W
              ATB Small Cone
              RK2
              Vortech MP40W
              6025 Stream modded
              Vertex Zeo Reactor
              Balling

Comment

Todd, with my old tank when I started dosing Strontium I noticed a major increase aswell.. I was thinking of starting to dose Strontium again myself..

Comment

I have zero coralline in my tank, it all turned white and flaked off.

Comment

Zeoheads, be careful with prolonged, excess accumulation of Sr. One with Molybdenum which has been implacated with algae growth &the other with coral skeleton brittleness & thinnes of the radial coralites. Bob

Comment

I noticed something last night.. I switched over to xm20k bulbs and since the switch my coralline has started to grow again.. What temp are you guys running for bulbs? I was runnign CV 14 and 20K beofre.. These bulbs were really white compared to the XM20k.. The xm20 seems to be an awesome bulb when run off 400 because it looks great and has good par aswell... The corals are coloring up much better also...

Comment

bob,
                        do u add sr. at all?

mike

Comment

Working...
                        X